Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
What OS are you running on your N810? Or are you dual booting?

I'm curious because I just purchased the N810 in mid June of 2009, and therefore I'm still pretty happy with Maemo Diablo (since it and apps for it are still so new to me), but since I would love to use this handy little device for years to come, it would be nice to know which direction most people are heading with regard to the OS of choice, because yes I would like to follow the crowd.

I'm assuming most will be heading to Mer, but are you doing that now or waiting for it to become more stable?

-- Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to internetpilot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
I use the OEM diablo*on my n800 but I also follow very closely the MER development as it's our future when Nokia drop the ball on the n800 and n810 like they dropped the ball on the 770.

running dual boot to a SD is pretty straight forward if you follow the very simple instructions on MER webpage

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Diablo & mer 0.14

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Chinook from sd card. I like Chinook.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
OS2008: Diablo.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Missing poll :P

OS2008 Diablo

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
latest OS

Triple booting, all running same OS, used for troubleshooting/support

KDE 3.5.8 also installed, but this runs on top on maemo natively, so its still the latest mameo OS, with a KDE frontend
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Chinook from sd card. I like Chinook.
Not to pry, but why the attraction to Chinook versus Diablo? As you can tell from me buying a 2-year-old technology IT, I shy away from something just because it's the old version. Is Chinook more stable or offer something that Diablo doesn't?

-- Chris

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Missing poll :P

OS2008 Diablo
Is there a way to post a poll? I looked for it (as well as similar previoius threads specific to the N810), but didn't find it. A poll would be perfect....

-- Chris

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by internetpilot View Post
Is Chinook more stable or offer something that Diablo doesn't?
-- Chris
Well, I got scared at the beginning of the Diablo experience of the other fellow users: someone reported that his battery was drained too quickly, others had problems with updates, with browserd getting too many resources, and some applications I depended upon had initial problems to get ported (the main one was Xournal).
So I decided to leave things alone. My 810 has also been hacked in almost every way described (or not) on these forums, and the idea to start over paralyzes me.

In the end, I bet that with Chinook I've practically everything I could have on Diablo. Several apps, in fact, have been built (autobuilt?) for both, and I can enjoy tear and abiword the same way Diablo users do.

Now you made me think that I've to go to backup my Chinook partition!