Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
well thanks sjgadsby for letting me know that, I've just been told...

I didnt see those threads pop up when i was starting this one, guess this will be another reason to talk about it, and add to "the list" then...

Anyways,

@Den in USA , thats a good thing you brought up : the spottiness of the service, depending on which carrier and your area.

It apears to be a few using the MiFi though.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Honestly, emergency calls aren't a big deal to me. First, the MiFi wasn't around when I was shopping, so I haven't made a direct comparison since it came out; CradlePoint was around, but CradlePoint+UMTS stick costs more and is bulkier than my phone, and unlimited data + 300minutes voice on a phone plan comes out about the same price as pure unlimited data on a data-only plan. Knowing 911 will work right is just a cool bonus.

Because I like the MID better, at least for some tasks (the specific reasons I like it better center around UNIX and the WVGA screen; there's no smartphone yet that combines these.). Following that logic, there'd definitely be no sense in carrying an N800 and an N810, right? (And perhaps you wouldn't...) But I do sometimes.

In fact, I don't have a smartphone; I went the cheap S40 route. But there are some people who use a smartphone for some tasks and an internet tablet for others, and that approach makes sense to me if you need more/better PIM stuff than the tablets offer.

Not sure, as I've used neither Verizon nor that phone. Look around howardforums.com, maybe starting here.

I completely understand your stand point ( i'm a gadget lover as well ) and that really why started this thread to see what others think and are doing with there NIT's. i would like to use the tablet by its self but thats because I'm stationed in south Korea right now and i can use my cell so I have wifi every where on base. When i go back to the states i was thinking that since i like the tablet so much that it should be my phone instead of having another device to use ( i've been through so many phones, more than 20 in a year and not because the were broken either) so i thought to my self if i do get one it should be smaller then the others I've had in the past but have a bit of functionality (like the one you have ) to it in case i have a day where i dnt want to carry both i can just make due with the phone. I still like the full featured PDA's like the Samsung Impression for at&t, I text and do a lot of web messaging so that phone looks great ( although i just got out of a horrible two year relationship with At&T and dnt wana go back) but its darn near the same size as the N810 if not bigger so I knew wearing fitted clothes and not packing a bag all the time wouldn't be a good fit with it. and knowing me the cheapest plane wont do ( $30 minute plan ) i talk a bit so thats why i was just thinking about how nice it would be to talk and txt all i want on my tablet using a mobile hotspot device connection, my average bill was 90 dollars a month with at&t because i had a 500 min voice and unlimited data which was like $60 + $30 + tax = even though i got a military discount it was still kinda high so a 30 dollar drop would have been nice.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I wrote a script for my linux laptop so that I could share its 3G adaptor with tablet and ipodTouch over ad-hoc wifi. Does anyone want a copy? it sets up wifi interface with ad-hoc, adds a wep key (can't use WPA with ad-hoc), fires up a DHCP server on wifi, enables IP forwarding, and sets up masquerading on the wan port.

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I wrote a script for my linux laptop so that I could share its 3G adaptor with tablet and ipodTouch over ad-hoc wifi. Does anyone want a copy? it sets up wifi interface with ad-hoc, adds a wep key (can't use WPA with ad-hoc), fires up a DHCP server on wifi, enables IP forwarding, and sets up masquerading on the wan port.
Yes, please upload the script!

Originally Posted by pinguino89 View Post
just asking, why have it for NITs if they can tether with your phone whenever you want?

It's awesom for other devices such as netbooks and laptops but i can't catch the utility with NITs
1. More consistent internet connectivity.
2. Not using up the battery on my phone.
3. Ability to make phone calls while connected to the internet.
4. Can connect 5 devices.
5. Its another device to talk about and carry.

Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
5. Its another device to ... carry.
You sir, have a great sense of optimism!

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Yes please, I would like a copy of that script as well!!!

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
1. More consistent internet connectivity.
2. Not using up the battery on my phone.
3. Ability to make phone calls while connected to the internet.
4. Can connect 5 devices.
5. Its another device to talk about and carry.
yes, I agree with the fact that you can connect more devices, but you can call and receive calls while connected yet ( at lest with my e51 i can ), yes I don't use cellphone battery but i use the Wefi battery no?? xD and I think that it's a bad thing to carry a third device ( 4th for me with my second cell...)
for the most consistent Internet connectivity, I don't know, it might be possible but still depends on the signal, if you are under 3,5g (HSDPA) if you go with wifi or cell connectivity, the difference i think is very little of irrilevant

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by scanman717 View Post
Yes please, I would like a copy of that script as well!!!
it's called "adhoc_wifi_gateway" and is in the scripts folder on my website here.

http://www.zaurus.org.uk/downloads.html

save file to /usr/local/bin/ on your laptop as root, set as executable ("chmod u+x blahblah") and edit to suit.

I tidied it up a lot with many comments to hopefully make it easy to fix. I wrote it for SuSE, I'll test it with umbongo when I next boot it, and I'll be happy to accept improvements or fixes

HTH
Paul

Last edited by speculatrix; 2009-07-19 at 22:11. Reason: forgot to give the name of the script!

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
...Secondly, you are not permitted to VoIP from a N8x0 through the MiFi according to the carriers' rules.
Can you link to this? I've been googling, and actually found quite the opposite... people saying that VOIP works great over it.

///EDIT

I just read thru Sprint's T&C http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/le...cy_popup.shtml ... didn't see anything about it there.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-07-25 at 06:44.