Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
So then does that mean that when I'm using midori in easy mer and adobe asks me if i want to download the flash version for ubuntu after i tried to use the veoh.com website I should say yes?
That's the x86 (Intel/AMD) compiled Flash player, not the one for ARM cpu's... and that's a different thing altogether.

So you'll want to say no. There's no Flash upgrades as of yet - keep your eye on the Adobe Open Screen Project for possible further upgrades to FP10.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Oh yeah. Now I remember seeing that x86 label and that is why i didn't say "yes"......... really annoying.
So why do I not know what x86 is? If I walk down the street and ask 1000 office workers that use computers everyday just walking down the street in some busy downtown area how many people do you think will know what the term X86 means? Less than 10 I bet. From the way Jkkmobile talks it seems like it has something to do with intel or tablets that run Win XP. I really don't know WTF it is.

How many Nokia phone owners, how many Nokia tablet owners do you think will know?
This is just another one of those things that you guys that are helping code for maemo or delving into writing code for this maemo platform automatically assume new users should or would know.

It's like recently when I tried to tell someone 3 bugs I was having with the tear browser on one of these threads and I said I'm not a programmer so i don't know how to use your bug tracking system and I got the response "here it is [bug reporting link] you can use it without being a programmer" and then I go there and I don't understand 90% of what I'm looking at so i have no idea if my bug fits into one of those categories. 90% of the bug descriptions use 80% technical terms.
So here is what I think you guys should do with this Maemo.org website.

Decide what categories of users/owners you have coming to this site in relation to their technical knowledge and ability to understand the answers you give them when they ask a question.

Maybe you can do some sort of interactive test that asks sets of questions to determine how much technical terms and programming language the person knows in regards to unix/linux/whatever and any other relevant languages when they sign up as a member of this site because honestly when i read through these threads a new owner that isn't a programmer is going to start yawning and falling asleep because they don't understand what you guys are talking about. The threads are programmer dominated.

Types of tablet owners

Categories by level

1) [newbie/beginner/whatever] Someone bought this tablet for me and i don't understand any of this crap can someone please help me make this thing work better and be useful. I like the downloads section.

Solution: Send to internet tablet school website. Watch all videos, install and use all apps described in the videos. You get a newbie stamp next to all your posts until you can pass beginner simple 10 questions. Not allowed to report bugs unless it gets translated by a level 3 member and reported for you.

2) I'm using apps and installing apps beyond the ITS and testing new beta apps listed in the forums. I'm playing around with repositories trying various apps but I still don't understand what most of you guys talk about all the time sounds like programmers talking. I'm trying to learn a little.

Not allowed to report bugs unless a special thread is made for this type of owner to express the problem they are having and a level 3 or 4 member has made a note at the end of their forum post claiming responsibility for translating and adding the bug being described to the bug tracking system.

3) You are helping code or just learning to code maemo/linux/whatever and have shown some usefulness in this area. You probably know other programming languages.

4) You are totally writing apps, fixing apps, own repositories etc.

The basic idea here is that you label people next to their name on these forums by how much they understand your linux code talk. Because you guys are kind of turning this place into a pseudo programmer forum. Not that I'm against that, by all means talk and discuss the technical points.

Level 1 and 2 people have to get a little tag underneath their post if it is a complaint about some application or the maemo platform that a level 3 or 4 member has translated their complaint into an official bug report.

That or you guys need to set aside a special subforum for people that do not want to wade through all of your technical terms just to express something simple like, "well I can tell you 8 things that the tear browser won't do."

Or "Canola takes three times as long as my Nseries phone to load the same youtube video."
I mean you guys need to bridge the gap here between newbie and programmers in a more organized way because don't you think it is odd that the forums don't get that many posts when there are millions of tablet owners?

I bet you what is happening is new owners are coming here. They look at a few threads. See what they consider as "programmers talking" or "tekkies talking" and they leave! And you miss out on their feedback. You miss the point that these people actually care and want the device/app to perform better for them.
Why isn't there donation links next to the download links. Somewhere in small text. Example, "if you would like to donate via paypal to the authors of this application you can do so here. Your support is greatly appreciated."

Can you guys just put a faqs and wiki link category on the front page? It's not under Intro like a new person would think. The title "community" doesn't really tell me that, "there is where I will find my answers" you know?

I mean If I'm a new tablet owner and I see technical terms being used and what looks like programmers talking in the threads and I look up and see "community" that makes me think more programmers will be talking there, so I won't go there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Let me clarify.

x86 refers to 286/386/486/586/686 which is the series of Intel processor types.

Layman's terms:
It's a CPU series for Intel/AMD, but derived from Intel

ARM refers to older mobile CPU's that runs CPU instructions differently from Intel CPU instructions.

Layman's terms:
A mobile CPU that's different from Intel and works differently

In other words, x86 code won't run well, if at all, on ARM-based system, case in point, our tablets. Unfortunately, Ubuntu runs on x86 systems (Desktop/Laptop/Atom(Netbooks)) meaning the Flash Player plugin for Firefox would not work.

Mer, running off ARM, would have to have an ARM-based Firefox and an ARM-based Flash Player to get what you're looking for. It's not impossible, in fact, it's already on your devices (so to speak) in the form of MicroB, the tablets default browser.

Fennec, being developed by Mozilla, is basically a mobile version of Firefox with a different graphical interface, so it won't look like the Firefox you know in Windows/Ubuntu/Mac. It will look different and feel a bit different, but it will be the same. They will probably develop a Flash Player for the program and if not, someone else will. No worries.

Jesse~

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
Fennec, being developed by Mozilla, is basically a mobile version of Firefox with a different graphical interface, so it won't look like the Firefox you know in Windows/Ubuntu/Mac. It will look different and feel a bit different, but it will be the same. They will probably develop a Flash Player for the program and if not, someone else will. No worries.

Jesse~
According to this press release from Adobe, they have committed to porting Flash to ARM. So maybe situation will improve for Mer. Adobe will most likely port Flash to Symbian on ARM first, but once they port it to Linux on ARM, that code may be usable for Mer.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Arm is in no way older...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Arm is in no way older...
Older than Atom, I guess I should have said.

Jesse~

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Given that atom is a variation on the x86 platform that intel intel have been making since the 80's, not as much as one would think. And its not like arm designs have been stagnant, look up cortex...

Technicalities. Also, casual computer users usually won't know what an ARM processor is. You tell them "Intel" and they automatically know what it is. I say older because it is "older" than Atom since it came before the Intel mobile chip Atom and most days, people know what that is since it's advertised (somewhat) as opposed to ARM.

Anyway, forget what I said. I was trying to transcribe something for others, but I think it fell short and instead brought up a whole other conversation which I'd rather not get into.

Jesse~

Tags
n810