Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by macit View Post
So my question to you: are you using your NIT as your primary mobile email device?
Yes.

(and happy with it ).
No.

Which app are you using?
A mix of Claws, mutt and webmail, none of which covers all my needs (reasonably fast, IMAP IDLE, offline storage, decent MIME handling, PGP support).

I also test modest and file bugs from time to time in the hope that it will be usable in Fremantle but I don't find it suitable for normal use. The Fremantle version does look a lot better already, but a serious dealbreaker is that it still corrupts message flags (bug 2536).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ South Wales, UK
Originally Posted by macit View Post

my E71 does a MUCH better job accessing my emails.
I've been using my N810 for a week now and I love it, but I have to say I agree that Profimail on the E71 is much better at handling email. But that's kind of what I expected having researched the strengths and weaknesses of the N810 before buying. Claws is useful and has some functionality that Profimail on the E71 doesn't have, such as PGP, but for 99% of my email the E71 is first choice.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
If only it were that simple!

Modest will always index all your subscribed personal folders, so if you have even one folder with lots of messages somewhere in your tree you'll still hit the problem (bug 3762).

Unsubscribing that folder (which you may not want to do in the first place if you want to access it from certain other MUAs) may not help either, as Modest sometimes (depending on the IMAP server) will ignore IMAP subscriptions and fetch the entire personal folder tree (bug 3484).
I've about 5,400 email messages in my archive, 3,400 in sent mail, and also use Gmail labels. I started and timed modest with 2 new messages and three read in my inbox. It took 3 sec to retrieve mail. How many messages are in your inbox?
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I've about 5,400 email messages in my archive, 3,400 in sent mail
That's OK, modest starts choking when a folder reaches around 10,000 messages.

How many messages are in your inbox?
Very few (right now 3 messages, although it does occasionally spike up to 3 digits). I do have a few "archive" folders (mailing lists and such) with over 50K messages though and that's the problem as there's no way to tell modest to stop looking at them.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's OK, modest starts choking when a folder reaches around 10,000 messages.

Very few (right now 3 messages, although it does occasionally spike up to 3 digits). I do have a few "archive" folders (mailing lists and such) with over 50K messages though and that's the problem as there's no way to tell modest to stop looking at them.
It's my habit to delete messages I consider not worth saving. It's old habits from the days of paper. That strategy has kept me from getting to the saved message levels that causes your problem. I've been using Gmail since 04 but have avoided their encouragement to save everything.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I use Claws for everything and never have any issues -- aside from some b0rked offline caches once in a while.

Tim

Tags
email