Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
And what will the web bring to the table? Slow centralized cloud webapps which will simulate work while offline?

That's like one then? We're talking about Google and Microsoft Office is not exactly web only.

I was talking about web "OSes" but it probably wasn't very clear.

What I really meant was how much of these Web 2.0 ventures die in a single year? Google is big and that shields it from mistakes but it doesn't mean that Google doesn't make mistakes.

The reaction is simple - its nothing world shattering that will change the course of the history. It will have its uses and that's all.
Well google search changed history for sure. So did gmail to some extent and also there is google orkut which really changed the people in India and latin america. Google maps goes into that list also.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Orkut started as a small company that Google bought, and there are also enough Google projects that silently disappeared. Google is not your saint and savior you know.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Google is not your saint and savior you know.
So, I should take down the Quad-Color Shrine? I was so sure...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And what will the web bring to the table? Slow centralized cloud webapps which will simulate work while offline?
So are you 100% happy with the "progress" in desktop OS's now? I, for one, am not.
That's like one then? We're talking about Google and Microsoft Office is not exactly web only.
No, that was three. Google Docs, Microsoft Office Live and ThinkFree are the only three that I've used... and that equals three.
I was talking about web "OSes" but it probably wasn't very clear.
Ah. Ok... gotcha.
What I really meant was how much of these Web 2.0 ventures die in a single year? Google is big and that shields it from mistakes but it doesn't mean that Google doesn't make mistakes.
Google makes more mistakes than most others; less than Microsoft though. As it stands, Google needs another hit after searching, ads and Gmail. Nothing else really has "stuck" - Jaiku lost to Twitter. They've closed other apps...
The reaction is simple - its nothing world shattering that will change the course of the history. It will have its uses and that's all.
Nothing is world shattering about Maemo. Nothing is world shattering about Android. Nothing is world shattering about Ubuntu. Nothing is world shattering about most anything we use now.

But I would like to have some options. Something new. As it stands, being close-minded or allowing a group of closet geeks that have no clue to what other people may want, only know what they want... that's a loss.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But I would like to have some options. Something new.
Which is somewhat ironic specially considering Google is announcing an operating system which REDUCES options.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Which is somewhat ironic specially considering Google is announcing an operating system which REDUCES options.
How so? They bought Linux, Microsoft or Apple?

I think you totally misunderstood what I meant by "options".

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I might .

You can already browse the web with any current operating system. But you can also run certain kinds of native applications.

Enter GoogleOS: you can browse the web, but you can't run native applications (that's the first "option" I'm talking about you lose).
Benefits? Nil.

True. But as far as this goes... if this means that my older hardware around here - such as my OQO - can use this while I travel. It's an option to me.

I refuse to own a netbook, but this is an option.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Google takes Linux and puts Chrome on top of its frame buffer. People have done it before. What is so revolutionary about it?
Google has identified the right set of problems to solve, and I think they'll probably do a good job of it.

The significance is not about a browser on top of the frame buffer, it's about things like "we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work" (from the official announcement).

Regards,
Roger