Its just another OS.

Actually its just another interface to an existing OS with tweaks and all.
And it will be more web centric - whcih is good, since the information and data is now all on the internet. Processing power is also on the internet (the cloud).

The only way this threatens Windows / Mac OS (and by corollary Linux too) is that it will make these companies sit up and take note of the web way of doing things.

Otherwise there will still be usesr who WILL WANT desktop OS with hard drive based apps and localised processing power localised OS management.

Hence people will still want Windows and MacOS.

But I was wondering if this is for Netbooks, why didnt Google try to develop Android to that level, instead of making a new Netbook OS ? I mean Android already runs on some Netbooks. So they could have added more to Android.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
When Apple said iPhone OS was going to be a "cloud" operating system, everyone complained: Apple was wrong. Apple rectified, and now their proper operating system is thriving with thousands of shitty apps.
When Google says "Google OS" is going to be a "cloud" operating system with EVEN LESS features than the original iPhone OS had, and designed for computers way more powerful than the original iPhone, even Slashdot agrees: this is the future of computing, Google is doing right.

Man, and I though it was Steve who had the RDF.

Of course, I am totally biased, since I am yet to see a single computing equipment customer whose needs are totally satisfied by "the web".

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
I think the main reason "IMHO" for ppl not taking to open sorce OS's (specifically Linux) is becuase we are unsure of it, in the since that its not easy ("easy" being the operative word, pretty interface, pretty easy to use, but thats pretty much it...)at all to jump into like the others. my co-worker and I were talking about the google announcement and got on the subject of OS's, him being one of those big time computer ppl that hates windows to death, thinks apple or Mac OS is just too expensive, and finds Linux to be to complicated... I was boasting about how I found a great device that runs Linux Maemo (my beloved N810 still waiting for it in the mail) and how I'm thinking about also getting the "Ubuntu OS" (for my PC) to play with and dual boot ( which is why I really took a liking to the tablet world to help me diversify my spectrum of computing beyound windows) and try out.

If anyone can give me any helpful tips on how to get my feet wet with Linx please let me know, Thanks

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-11 at 09:42. Reason: more

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
"computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates."
Uh? Are you talking about MacOSX?

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Of course, I am totally biased, since I am yet to see a single computing equipment customer whose needs are totally satisfied by "the web".
I think that is the crux of the issue - Netbooks vs full blown computers.

With one (PC based OS) the customers total needs are satisfied by the OS, with the other (netbook web OS) some customer's needs are totally satisfied by the OS (for people content with email and the web and some media playing).

It all boils down to what people need. I guess no OS purports to fulfilling all the needs of all the customers.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
It's a revolution because it's going to change the computer from a tech device into an appliance (in the same way that, say, cars became driveable by anyone thanks to starter motors instead of crank handles and the addition of synchromesh to the gearbox).

Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Maemo Software is fiddling with GTK vs. QT while Google bypasses it completely to write something secure, fast, and close-to-the-metal. And makes sure it will run on x86 and ARM for good measure.

Interesting times lie ahead, for sure.

Regards,
Roger

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
It's a revolution because it's going to change the computer from a tech device into an appliance
Oh, man, you won't believe how many times I have heard that... When will people stop believing this stuff?

Maemo Software is fiddling with GTK vs. QT while Google bypasses it completely to write something secure, fast, and close-to-the-metal. And makes sure it will run on x86 and ARM for good measure.
Google takes Linux and puts Chrome on top of its frame buffer. People have done it before. What is so revolutionary about it?

Interesting times lie ahead, for sure.
Sure, I just do not see ChromeOS as a significant cause of interestingness.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Google has replaced MS. I am not buying into all of their monopoly trap. I still use their search engine though.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Oh, man, you won't believe how many times I have heard that... When will people stop believing this stuff?

Google takes Linux and puts Chrome on top of its frame buffer. People have done it before. What is so revolutionary about it?

Sure, I just do not see ChromeOS as a significant cause of interestingness.
Come on... You can't deny that it is "interesting"! Really, now.

But, revolutionary? Maybe not.

Tim

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
So let me get this straight. Big companies wants people to trust them with all of their info and documents on their servers where they have complete control? Mmm, sounds fishy.