Active Topics

"computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates."
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

This is interesting because this is based on the web-cloud as data and app storage - easier installations, no more service packs. I'm sure users will love the experience.

Now the question is what are the development languages for Web?
* JavaScript and Ajax, Python, what else? Java?
C++ is not, or am I missing somethig?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
sounds good - perfect fit for the touch book...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
"computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates."
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

This is interesting because this is based on the web-cloud as data and app storage - easier installations, no more service packs. I'm sure users will love the experience.

Now the question is what are the development languages for Web?
* JavaScript and Ajax, Python, what else? Java?
C++ is not, or am I missing somethig?
Its WRT, what do you expect? C++ is not very usable there.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I believe they stated that they are targeting netbooks, so I think that long-term what we'll see is a focus on more and more cloud applications (google docs, calendar, etc). That will both reduce the requirements for applications to be run on the device and be able to make the devices even more 'lite' and inexpensive.

An OS that have that as a focus, maybe with on-screen widgets for updates, etc, could be very interesting.

I don't think the intent for this OS is to compete toe-to-toe with Windows and OSx as a desktop/laptop OS where you actually need to do some local processing.
I was replying mostly to sachin007. He was thinking in terms of Google OS being "end of Windows/Mac" OS (or perhaps just a HUGE migration of people completely moving to the OS), which simply will not happen. It's been proven time and time again because people are accustomed to Windows and Mac. Most people don't know that Linux is an OS. Google will, at the very least, push it into the limelight, which will be great, but it certainly won't an an OS killer, that's for sure.

I'm all for Google OS. I can't wait to try it out on my laptop or a slower PC that I have in the other room. I have plenty of older PC's laying about to put it on for testing. That won't be a problem.

Jesse~

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Engadget comments:
- This is really, really cool.
- YEEAAHH!!!!!!! wooo!
- Goodness, this is huge news.. lol.

So this is how computing dies... with thunderous applause.

If Google succeeds at this it will prove all my paranoid theories that the whole market is dumb and crazy and that marketing is the only way to get through. Cause doing what Google has done is like taking "the Gnome way" to the extreme: GNU/Linux is hard? Ok, remove ALL operating system features and applications until only the browser remains.

A solution which is, by the way, a 5-minute job for any hacker with some LFS experience. Only it has Google branding all over it, and for that reason it'll take over the world.

I just hope it dies a silent death instead.

I had a NICE freakin statement to counteract your statement, but the back button on my mouse hates me and thus it's gone...

You win this time!

Jesse~

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
I had a NICE freakin statement to counteract your statement, but the back button on my mouse hates me and thus it's gone...
OT: Knowing Firefox 3 has this "interesting" behaviour where it tends to forget your precious 3 page post if you need to refresh or go back/forward to the form page, imagine a forum software were 50% of the time pressing "Submit Reply" results in a 500 error page.
The result: the über rage. Broken computers.

Well, sometimes it happens to me, sometimes it doesn't. Today, it just wanted you to win. T_T

Jesse~

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I like the announcement. And I can tell you that too many folks aren't looking at what Google is blatantly trying to do...

(a) get software up to speed with users who don't have admin or legacy tech knowledge

(b) take behavioral tracking to other (even more Orwellean) levels

(c) put most companies on notice that its time to stop thinking about what worked in the past and try something new

The Chome OS will be a sore spot more for the Linux crowd than the Windows/MacOS crowd - for now. The OS's aims, while solving a ton of issues conventional users have, still doesn't have a killer feature that will spring wholesale adoption (and this is good for Google and that nice antitrust case coming against them).

What it will do is similar to what Chome has done (and somewhat what webOS has done on the mobile side); it will make folks think about what's really important towards the user experience of computing. It will further take it to the utility end of the spectrum, and it will put all kinds of pressures on the major hardware vendors to get it right in terms of power efficiency and cost faster.

To the folks here, I think it won't hit yet how smart a move this is until Maemo 6/Hamarrtan (sp?). By that point, folks will see that mobile, efficient, directed, and engaging computing is more than niche exclusivity

come on! you're all being too strict with it... it is not a revolution, neither the end of computing, it's just a sinmpler alternative...

let's just say that divides the PC users in 3 groups:

"external level" - totally newbie on PC/only use the basic and need something fast and easy to use.

this group takes benefits from the chrome OS idea. it's like the eeePC users, that need mobility, economy and basic services... nothinhg like play a ps3-like game, but totally ok with simple games and office Apps

"mid-level" - some experience with PCs/ uses a mid/high end machine for a lot of tasks, including multimedia playing/editing and playing new games.

Windows or Mac/os are perfect for these ones, since they need a machine with good compatibility, a popular OS and usually have good hardware.

"Internal/core level" - good PC knowledge/ uses more complex apps and can even develop software and similar things.

Here the linux-based systems that actually exists wins the crown... open-source apps and OS are a must have here.

note that the newer Linux-based OS can be in the 3 categories (chrome have a linux base anyway right?) it's just a little hard to get used to it, but it have simpler versions, powerful versions and full customisable/developable versions...