Notices

[QUOTE=Mara;300990]I did read all that good progress of this app and had enough curiosity to install it, and got it working...

Same for me! I had tried before, but the configuration via xml-file made me stop trying. Now, with the sample-configuration files and the wiki everything went smooth. All Nxx0-users should give it a try. It works really fine.
But: As I'm living in Germany, I'm a little confused by the announcements made by an English-accented voice, spelling German streetnames and unknown words ... It's quite funny, but honestly:
Is there a way to edit the navit.xml-file for use by German users, wanting to here a German announcement?
For use in maemo-mapper I installed flite 1.3. Since I didn't install anything else, I think navit uses it as well.
Thank you again for this surprisingly good working piece of software!
Karl

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Why can't I have multiple maps???

When I use the line: /media/mmc1/maps/navit/*.bin in my XML I get no maps at all...

And yes I do have maps there. If I specify florida.bin or gerogia.bin it works fine, but I travel a lot and was hoping to not have to modify that line when I travel between states...

OR.. Is there a way to combine the 2 states into one file and use it that way???

I am using the CloudMade Maps

Last edited by scanman717; 2009-07-07 at 18:12.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
scanman77

You can have multiple map lines in your setup. Do one for Florida and one line for Georgia. I have both Ohio and Indiana specified. They work just fine, as if one map.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Thanks I will give it a shot.. A gui that starts before you run Navit to change some setting like this, or the ability to add maps while running Navit would be awesome.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by scanman717 View Post
Thanks I will give it a shot.. A gui that starts before you run Navit to change some setting like this, or the ability to add maps while running Navit would be awesome.
The ability to control all the settings in the XML file via GUI would be nice. Would make Navit 100x better...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Las Vegas
Hi all, I need to clarify something about the multiple maps. I initially wrote that section of the wiki because it was the method that I used, I didn't realize that using *.bin will not actually grab multiple map files but actually grab just the first map file in the directory. I confirmed this with the developer I thought I updated the wiki to state as such. If there is a place in the wiki that still shows this let me know so I can change it.

Note that *.bin still does have it's use... If you are using just a single map file in a single directory then whenever you downoad an updated map file you can place it into the directory and not have to worry about modifying the navit.xml file with the new map name. Just remember to delete your old map file from the directory.

On the same note to specifiy multiple map files you will have to add multiple lines to the navit.xml file with the file name for each map. An alternative is just to use the Navit t extractor at:

http://maps.navit-project.org/download/

This will allow you to download a map of just the area you want to use.

Oh, and as for a gui to change the settings. There is one planned and I did see on the IRC channel that someone did work on something for it. It apparently did not make it into the SVN source code so either it's not quite polished yet for use or the main developer wanted to go in another direction.

For those of you who don't know, Navit has one main developer who also started Navit. There are a few others that regularly contribute code and fixes but most of the work though falls on the shoulders of the guy who started Navit. As a result there isn't a lot of manpower to spread around so somethings that would definitly be nice to have get put on a back burner while issues of having blue oceans and an overview map are higher priority.

The main developer is very nice though and welcomes anyone that wants to help. I actually got involved with Navit because I was asking him a lot of the questions that have come up here. After answering he asked if I could update the wiki for him and the rest is history...

a couple of navit questions...
first, i just tried this again after giving it a shot about a year plus ago--impressed with the progress, and it's nice to see such continued active development.
1. is it possible to import a gpx route a la MM or roadmap? the routing in navit still isn't quite ready for prime time, and even on the commercial systems i oftentimes prefer my own route.
2. is it possible to configure the logic with which navit routes? preferential highway v. back roads for example, or (better yet) set a minimum speed limit? don't know if the osm maps contain that info. navit routed me on a 70 mi trip through every side street possible. estimated TOA 5 hours, instead of the actual 1 1/4 that it takes.
3. is there a parameter for adjusting the zoom level at which street names are displayed? often, i need to zoom way in to get that info; i suppose this is to speed rendering.
4. any imperial measurements for us yanks? or am i just going to have to learn how far a km REALLY is?
5. having trouble finding addresses. when i click "town" it defaults to the uk. i can change "country" to us, but it only shows up after typing "united". then i must go back to actions menu (since the next entry is then for street, and nothing shows up) select "town" again, at which point i can type a city. my city, however, doesn't show up (it's the capital of the state, so it should). i have no idea how to dig into the osm data to see where the problem is, or how to contribute.

thanks!

I've only had my n810 for a week or so, and navit for less than that, so I'm a novice.... but:

4. I set up scratchbox and the Nokia devel kit just to use this patch: http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/12. It's an important issue for U.S. and Canadian users.

I believe the patch is worth incorporating, but it needs re-writing.. as-is, you're better off using km and km/h.

I ended up writing my own km-to-miles conversion (using the patch as a starting point)....I was able to compile, but not test it (but if anyone would like me to send a patch, PM me).

3. I have the same question. I don't see any street-name labels at some zoom levels where labels would be appropriate.

Not sure if this is an issue with Navit, or with my CloudMade .navit.bin file, but there is a specific highway near me with a "corrupt" label.

(The highway name is printed in a spiral, dozens of times, cluttering the display.)

Originally Posted by nola mike View Post
3. is there a parameter for adjusting the zoom level at which street names are displayed? often, i need to zoom way in to get that info; i suppose this is to speed rendering.
4. any imperial measurements for us yanks? or am i just going to have to learn how far a km REALLY is?
thanks!

hoorah, it looks like you have some coding skills... It'as been a while since I last spoke with the developer of Navit but I know he would be more then happy to have someone submit a patch for converting units. You can contact him on the #navit channel on freenode.net. He goes by cp15 and monitors the channel quite often. If you don't get a response right away try back in a couple of hours. He is in Europe somewhere so you will have to account for the time difference.

As for the highway name thing, I just submitted that yesterday as ticket 408. I to would like to see a fix for this issue as it can slow navit down quite a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to adamis For This Useful Post: