Active Topics

Maybe this might be revealed even before the Maemo phone comes out ... as early as Nokia World this year, if this report is to be believed.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/05/n...veiling-later/

So much for Nokia being a market shaper. I can't believe this though somehow.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I'm thinking that some "insider" heard about Nokia releasing a smartphone with Linux, and put two and two together - that must be the Android!!! So maybe it's actually about the N900 launch.

symbian is a big pain. So if Nokia wants to compete with HTC, LG, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson which have Symbian devices (and WinMo devices) and Android devices, then Nokia might need to try Android on some of its devices. I hope they will keep Maemo for other devices (series Nx00) and they can ditch Symbian - I am sure without a facelift of usability and inter-device compatibility Symbian^x is lost...

Yesterday i updated my n95 (Symbian s60) with the latest firmware and i lost all my contacts, java apps, paid n-gage games, paid ovi apps, only few s60 apps were re-installed.

Why iPhone users can install a new OS version without pain of loosing contacts and apps and Symbian cannot preserve contacts and apps during a simple patch update?!!?

Symbian is lost. It has secret device APIs and this means INCOMPATIBILITY Of THE APPS between devices (and OS versions) - this is because of improper OS design.

Nokia might abandon Symbian gradually. The only thing symbian is good is good GSM, 3G data, wi-fi multi-tasking, but any Linux based OS like Maemo or Android or Palm Pre OS can compete here nowadays...

Nokia works on a MAEMO 5 Phone, and also on an Android phone and on a Android netbook.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/200...nternet-phones

Is Maemo & Android the end of Symbian in his high end smartphones?

Only the sales of Maemo & Android smartphones and the Symbian^1 compatibility of API between devices (which is not good) will tell.

Android services are better then Nokia's Ovi: Android store gives money back in 24 hrs if you don't like the app. You can re-download a paid app unlike on Ovi... Nokia current services are not that good.

Symbian big compatibility and upgrade issues: Why s60 v3.2 is not compatible with s60 v3.1??!?... Poor design, lack of strategy...
Why then Nokia still sells phones with s60 3.1 which is incompatible with latest version of s60 for non-touch instead of selling N95x with s60 v3.2 or even s60 v5 and make the best T9 smartphone (N95) to be touch-based?

Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
I'm thinking that some "insider" heard about Nokia releasing a smartphone with Linux, and put two and two together - that must be the Android!!! So maybe it's actually about the N900 launch.
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. The Guardian article doesn't exactly seem to be based on very solid information.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
The Guardian article doesn't exactly seem to be based on very solid information.
Sorry, it was my fault. I sent an email this weekend telling them this story.
You know, in holidays there is much free time. Of course it isn't true, but I thought it could be fun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Well so much for unfounded rumours.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16788...the_works.html

Yerga, next time don't go about saying Nokia is abandoning Android but will go with WM ...

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post: