Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Like somebody dropping coins into the arcade machine...

Another challenger has entered the fray!
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/29...-mid-says-wsj/

They've got my interest. Go on..

Dell had the best Windows Mobile device on the market, the Axim Series, they junked it and now they want to go with Android. They could have just added 3G to it, partnered with a wireless carrier, and you got an iPhone competitor. Heck, the Axim even looked liked an iPhone way before the iPhone came out.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
Dell mediocrity combined with US carrier lockdown = suckage.

Can hardly wait to pass this shiny one.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
To me, this sounds like potentially very good news.

If it is "slightly larger than an iPod touch," has a great (hopefully 4" & high pixel-count) screen, is not a phone, and runs Android -- and maybe could run Mer -- it could possibly be the hardware for a real tablet.

<Han Solo voice>That's not a MID, that's a smart phone!</voice>

Seriously though, it does look like a smart phone. It'd be interesting if that's what it turns out to be.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
mhmh... form factor and hardware look nice - only if mer runs on it, though. i wouldn't touch android.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The more support for Android the better, it seems to me.

Having committed to a SmartQ 7 and waiting on shipping notification, I have a vested interest in Android and am expecting great things.

So if Dell puts its weight behind the platform then it is win win.

My M2010 laptop is a Dell, it is a tremendous computer, impressive build quality and design and Dell has given me unparalleled service.

So I would have no problems with buying a Dell MID. In fact I would buy it in preference to Nokia any day.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
I shouldn't be so harsh on Dell. They have made some decent computers. Let's see if they can pull it off.

I hope it comes in brown like the first Zune.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
I shouldn't be so harsh on Dell. They have made some decent computers.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....HAHAHA....hahaa...haha.. .ha...oh wait, you were being serious? Oh, I'm sorry.

I've never really known Dell to produce decent stuff, let alone quality. They are just as proprietary as M$, except with them it's worse since it's either their hardware in the machine only or it goes nuts...

I've never really had a good experience with Dells. I owned an Inspiron 8100 and it sucked, Even on low performance mode, it heated up like a beast...

Anyway.../rant

Jesse~

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Dell had the best Windows Mobile device on the market, the Axim Series, they junked it and now they want to go with Android.
I got great use out of my Axim X5, but I bought it thinking that linux would get ported to it in no time (I knew folks running linux on the Audrey and figured the Axim would follow the same arc). I ran the accursed Windoze OS on it from 2002 until the day my N800 arrived. While I miss the Axim's PIM, never again will I buy hardware in the anticipation that it will have an acceptable OS ported to it. Either it runs the OS I can get along with, or I don't buy it. I never bought anything from Dell ever again, and I'd bought quite a bit from them before that. (OK I take it back, one monitor at work is a Dell). As much as the Axim held my worklife together, it was always a love-hate relationship, more promise than delivery.

Tags
dell android rumor