Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Expansys.com has it for pre-order for some months now...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by bigboote
Just a thought, but would it be completely off base to speculate that, perhaps due to the unexpectedly good buzz and strong pre-orders, Nokia found one or more retail channels (say, CompUSA?) in early Nov? And, perhaps that retailer wanted to sell the 770 at a little higher price point, and not compete with the internet sales site until after the launch at their own stores?

Crazy talk, I know...
This really burns me up. I'm not as convinced of the attempt to supress competition between Nokia's site and CompUSA, but I AM pretty ticked at the probable cause of all the unit shortages-- shipping product to the retail stores FIRST, before fulfilling online orders! This would explain why various shipments have been mentioned/rumored by customer reps but they have failed to ship to anyone here. I can only imagine how many units have been shipped out to various stores without ever fulfilling a single web order. No wonder they won't talk about the delays! No one wants to admit that there's been a bunch of units appearing and disappearing just as quickly to brick-and-mortar stores. It's obvious where the early adopters and ethusiasts fall in their scheme of things-- Dead Last.

Originally Posted by DCForever
Hey all, I work at CompUSA. Today we received a display from Nokia with a live 770 and a phone the N92 I think. I was so excited to see the Nokia 770. The screen is awesome. I am going to try and update the firmware sometime this week and maybe install some apps to show off. We also have some on order. So hopefully it will be here soon.

Also, the price will be $399.99.
Could you ask around to see if you could find out when it's going up for sale?

I called my local CompUSA and they said that they expected the 770 to be in the end of this week. On thier computer systemn the shipping date was this Friday (December 2). Anyone think its actually going to show up then??

Originally Posted by lbattraw
This really burns me up. I'm not as convinced of the attempt to supress competition between Nokia's site and CompUSA, but I AM pretty ticked at the probable cause of all the unit shortages-- shipping product to the retail stores FIRST, before fulfilling online orders! This would explain why various shipments have been mentioned/rumored by customer reps but they have failed to ship to anyone here. I can only imagine how many units have been shipped out to various stores without ever fulfilling a single web order. No wonder they won't talk about the delays! No one wants to admit that there's been a bunch of units appearing and disappearing just as quickly to brick-and-mortar stores. It's obvious where the early adopters and ethusiasts fall in their scheme of things-- Dead Last.
You may be right, but there still isn't any proof. Personally, there are enough other irritants in my life that I'm not going to let myself get angry over an assumed slight by nokia. BUT, if I find out that compusa has these in stores before I get mine, with an order number of about 57210000, then I'll be right behind you handing you rotten tomatoes to throw.

Well, I installed Abiword, GPE-Todo, GPE-Contacts, Bejewelled Clone, Tetris, and MaemoBlocks. I have been browsing the net for a bit on it. It is very nice although a bit slow. I don't know when we will get it in, but I have been told by someone if it is on order then it should be within a week, but who knows for sure.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
I'm writing this post from the running 770 display @ the local Compusa. They definitely have (nokia) a good deal worked out cause the display is huge compared to how cramped together all the other tech toys are here.

So, are they selling them already? Do they have stock?

if they were selling them they'd be on their website as selling...

Which CUSA? I don't have a Psychic GPS yet!

I'll be sure to hit CUSA this Friday. The same day I will again fondle an OQO (and a PSP!) at the NYC Wired Store (160 Wooster St, FYI). (Went there yesterday and was thwarted -- they aren't open Monday & Tuesday!)

If Nokia has favored CUSA over online sales, I still don't see any reason to gripe. The point of this exercise is to get it out there in as many hands as possible.

Die Palm Die.

Die PPC Die.