Originally Posted by tso View Post
could be that the parts that do phone (dailer for instance), if any, is designed for portrait...
Could be, but that doesn't really solve the problem imho - I want to be able to type a quick "OK" SMS one-handed while I walk down the street and hold an umbrella in the other hand, for example. Or skip to the next song. Or change the music's volume. Or read an incoming mail. Or...or...or...

With a phone, being able to do small things like that with one hand only is paramount to me, and with a like 95% landscape-only UI this is simply not possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
And i fo not think there is anything stopping them from making that happen, tho it may be that the apps in question presents a special "portrait" ui rather then trying to reflow the "landscape" ui...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
Why is so hard for Nokia to create a nice GUI. Since N810 launch passed 2 years... since iPhone launch passed 2 years... they could have done a nice UI in that time if they started to write that from scrach... Maybe they should move all the software development to Russia or Romania or other Eastern European country - they have very good software engineers... if not, move everything to US but the development price will be 10 times more expensive...
The problem with many companies that develop software isn't a lack of ideas or a lack of good engineers ... often its misquided managers or a very poor development process that causes the issues. Not much a programming peon can do when idiot project managers control everything. :-(

Thankfully, I'm not in that position at the moment. But I have been, and know many others who are.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
No big deal, but a Computerworld writer making my point; in his words: "Hardware doesn't matter. Network is everything."

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
The biggest issue i have with my n810 is the browser which for an Internet centric device just plain sucks. its too slow and hangs easily. plus the lack of tab support is a real deal breaker .. its almost as if nokia is trying hard to put a cap on the success of this device which is a real shame.

My Blog

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
bigbrovar, install the alternate browser called Tear

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
optionally, webkit-eal...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
"my only disappointment is not being able to play videos downloaded from www.ted.com without needing to convert them (a faster CPU would make it a little more smooth). "

Sorry I'm so late reading this. But, these beautiful interfaces all come at the expense of the tiny CPU and memory. It's not just Canola, but that one is the worst. I like to stream a lot. That requires a lot of CPU power. Fast stream video made it balk awfully until I learned to unload the glitz and use mplayer's simple interface raw. I even use it on World99TV streams on KMPlayer. These streams start balking, too, as soon as the video becomes busy. Here's how to get smoother video, even on FAST-playing DivX movies:

If you're going to play a movie off a card or internal memory, simply open mplayer directly, point to the movie on the simple list and click PLAY and it will play fine....No DivX movie from usenet makes it balk IF THE MOVIE IS THE ONLY THING PLAYING. If you get balking, unload the applets, like the weather applets calling home, as they make it balk. Less Applets, the better. It's only a 400 Mhz machine!

If you're going to play a stream, say from a webpage, copy the stream location to memory, but do NOT close the app you got it from or it simply disappears!...a stupid problem never solved..... Open mplayer's simple interface and use the PASTE function in the lower left of the keyboard to paste the location into mplayer's URL box. NOW, go back where you got it from and close the app it came from, even the browser which is constantly cramming new spams and sucking up the cpu cycles. Once you have the app closed down, click PLAY on mplayer and notice how smooth the formerly unwatchable TV station or online movie runs....with the CPU working on the STREAM, not servicing all the FLUFF.

All the media players cause the same problem. Get rid of their load and everything runs better.....(c;] I know, it sucks but that's the reality of such a small multitasking machine.....akin to an old 486 PC.

Why maemo deletes what I've copied to the clipboard when I close the app I got it from is just crazy, but it does it. Copy the URL of a WorldTV99 station to clipboard, close KMPlayer, paste that URL into mplayer....it's blank...erased. Stupid....

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by w4csc View Post
"my only disappointment is not being able to play videos downloaded from www.ted.com without needing to convert them (a faster CPU would make it a little more smooth). "

Sorry I'm so late reading this. But, these beautiful interfaces all come at the expense of the tiny CPU and memory. It's not just Canola, but that one is the worst.
Granted the tablets do get bogged down for short periods occasionally, as does just about any other computer, but please bear in mind the current N8x0 date from 2 and a bit years ago now, and everything, especially expectations have moved on since then.

If we are sticking to Media Players as an example, then in my case at least I find the worst offender is the built-in player. Canola and Media box are both much snappier. Granted, there is a overhead, and that can highlighted best in both players when trying playback video which is right on the limits for Mplayer.

A couple of guys at work have iPhones, and 1 a G2 phone, and my N800 holds up very well against either newer design. What lets the tablet down is not the hardware, but poorly presented and inefficient applications, especially from the commercial side (Nokia, Wayfinder). The overall user interface is not consistant enough at the minute for the average consumer in my opinion.