Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Try install gvm OS2007. That is the least work for you if you just want to see how it goes.

bun

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Hey All!

I did a flash update to the most recent version of OS2008 and that did the trick as far as getting Garnet to install.

One of my top priorities with this is to use my Ereader book collection on this device. Since that is all registered to my Sony Clie, am I going to be able to use my same reg codes to get Garnet to accept them?

Also, a really simple question. With this file structure, where do I store the actual PDB files (or books) on the device so that Ereader through Garnet finds them? In Palm OS structure, this is done in the "Launcher" folder.

Any suggestions!

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
One of my top priorities with this is to use my Ereader book collection on this device. Since that is all registered to my Sony Clie, am I going to be able to use my same reg codes to get Garnet to accept them?
Registration scheme usually rely on user name or user id set on your palm device.
If you copy all files/database used by your application (prc/pdb) from your clie to gvm, and set the same username/userid in gvm you should be able to use your registered apps.
Username/userid can be read or set with free tools like ChangeName

Also, a really simple question. With this file structure, where do I store the actual PDB files (or books) on the device so that Ereader through Garnet finds them? In Palm OS structure, this is done in the "Launcher" folder.
Read how to use SD card in the above thread, and then you'll have a Palm/Launcher directory on your SD card

The Following User Says Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Since that is all registered to my Sony Clie, am I going to be able to use my same reg codes to get Garnet to accept them?
One of the nice features of the eReader ebooks is that you can read them on any Palm device and it doesn't matter what your hotsync ID might be. To open up the eReader book, you type in your purhcaser name and credit card number you used when you bought the ebook. If you don't remember, go to the bookshelf section on the ereader.com website (click on BookShelf at top of screen). It will list all the ebooks you've purchased and under the Unlock column will show the purchaser name for each ebook and the last 4 digits of the credit card number you need to unlock the ebook.

Also, a really simple question. With this file structure, where do I store the actual PDB files (or books) on the device so that Ereader through Garnet finds them?
I've got all my ebooks for eReader, along with the dictionary, stored on my SD card in the folder: PALM/Books

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Pushwall:

eber42 said that the info on GVM folder structure is in "the above thread"...

you don't happen to have that url or instructions since you are on here now do you?

I assume it isn't as simple as creating a Palm folder on the mini SD card and then a Books folder inside of that is it?

eber42 said that the info on GVM folder structure is in "the above thread"...

you don't happen to have that url or instructions since you are on here now do you?

I assume it isn't as simple as creating a Palm folder on the mini SD card and then a Books folder inside of that is it?
Assuming you've followed these instructions on creating an SD card to work with GVM (the Code section of TA-t3's instructions), then yes it is as simple as creating a Palm folder on the mini SD card and then a Books folder inside of that. My Books folder is on my mini SD card in this file structure:
/media/mmc1/SD1/PALM/Books

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
qwerty12, I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox appears to be full?

How do you generate that neat-looking sigpic? :-)

I am loving being able to store my ebooks on my sd card. Its wonderful being able to carry along as many as I like and not worry about room on the gvm itself!
The only hiccup that I have found is with my database apps. For some reason MobileDB and its databases work great! But with ListPro and ThinkDb I can only get the apps themselves to work from the card. The actual databases will not show up in the slot1 category. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what I need to do differently? Or what I may have done wrong?
And thanks again for all the work that has been done here!!!!

Hello Maemo community!
I've been around off and on for a few years, but this is my first post. I've got an N800 running OS2008 and had successfully installed Garnet VM Beta 3 and Epocrates.
Trouble is, Beta 3 ran out and do to my circumstances at the time I removed Beta 3 and opted for a fresh install of the new, shiny, Beta 4.
Now, however, when I attempt to install the Setup.prc from Epocrates.com (which I have copied to the external SD), I get the following error:
Failed to install Setup.prc (err=0x30060209)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
It sounds like you're not Hotsyncing correctly.

You might need a current version of the setup.prc since it's been awhile (though I doubt that would be the problem here).

Remove any firewalls that your computer might be running.

Also, make sure that the USB box under connections in Hotsync Manager (for Windows) is not checked off, only Network (TCP/IP) should be checked.

Good luck.