Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[QUOTE=qole;291970...but being stretched to 16:10 (tablet screen)...[/QUOTE]
Tablet should be 15:9 (800 X 480)

/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf add,
aspect=15:9 will get you a full screen with, well, acceptable stretching.

@Addison: More aspect discussions here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24067

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-30 at 03:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
From what I understand, the OMAP 2420 is only capable of driving a 640x480 display, and so to get an 800x480 display Nokia had to use a third party display controller. So some of the hardware acceleration is lost there. The rest of it is lost because we don't have a driver for the hardware acceleration. So, effectively, we have almost no hardware acceleration for video.

This topic is still being discussed by Nokia and they have said that there is still hope for the community to get our hands on some kind of video acceleration drivers in the future. How much impact that will have on video playback performance has yet to be determined.

Here is an email thread that I stumbled upon:
http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-de.../msg08831.html

It basically brings about 2 points. First, "Using a closed CPU like the TI OMAP (2420) in an open device like the N800
wasn't the best pairing." By this they mean the hardware accelerators. Yes, the OMAP 3 is open source now, (with hardware accelerators and all) but the new devices will open up with monstrous price tags which will make many to wait for sometime.
The N800/810 seems to be an ideal device for me. Basic browsing, reading documents and watching videos at D1 res, and I know the 2420 has all the muscle to do this. Waiting and upgrading to the (more expensive) next version does not seem a prudent solution.
The second point being "...solution would be that the open source community can convince TI
to release those technical documents to the public."
Now this is prudent.
I think the user as well as developer community should go ahead and do this, and harness the full power of the N800/810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katzkid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Are you by chance looking for -nozoom mplayer option?
Thank you very much Serge!

That was all I was looking for and it works perfectly!

Many thanks again!

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Bunanson, Addison,
I would suggest to go for a slight cropping instead of a slight stretching, but it's a matter of taste.

Bundyo, i suppose your video is 24 fps ?
Does it play well ?

Last edited by totololo; 2009-05-30 at 10:27.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Bunanson, Addison,
I would suggest to go for a slight cropping instead of a slight stretching, but it's a matter of taste...
I prefer a slight stretching. To me, it takes a lot of stretching to see distortion. And cropping - you dont know what you are missing. I HATE borders. And of course, as you said it well, it's a matter of taste

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hmm that depends on the footage your watching. I took camera footage I recorded using my Canon (standard box video) and it looked terrible stretched. Granted the video was never looked that great to begin with so a toss through tablet-encode did the job well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
You know, after changing the zoom option that Serge suggested, I don't even bother converting videos anymore.

Two benefits from this. Pixel perfect display (no stretchy weirdness like bunanson likes and no need for cropping) and not having to constantly waste time doing all of the video conversion junk.

The only negatives are that you've got a smaller display and it will chunk up a little during moments of extreme video changes.

Granted, the video files are already in .avi format and are cartoons.

Well, at least I thought this deserved a quick mention.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
You know, after changing the zoom option that Serge suggested, I don't even bother converting videos anymore.

Two benefits from this. Pixel perfect display (no stretchy weirdness like bunanson likes and no need for cropping)
Scaler has high quality (bicubic) and preserves aspect ratio. Pixels are stretched keeping all the proportions. So you just get a bigger picture. Nothing is cropped, so you still see black bars around the picture for the videos which are not 15:9.

and not having to constantly waste time doing all of the video conversion junk.
No time is wasted on scaling, so no win here. This operation is HW accelerated and done by LCD controller.

Hi,
I stumbled upon this thread and got the idea to target the amount of pixels when encoding. I put the option to do this in my GUI for mencoder (SubVideo.exe). Windoze users can get it from http://www.tulehdus.com/SubVideo/

It seems to be ok to target 200.000 pixels for the N800

-mil

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Addison & Serge :
The HW scaler in our N8xx is a lot better than what is written in the old topic about video on NIT. But i noticed that it works better with certain picture sizes than others. I don't believe that any video form the web will be nicely played thanks to the scaler.

Mil : In fact, it depends a lot on the framerate too.

Tags
when will tim find me