Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
That's a snide, entirely uncalled for response.
You, apparently, haven't been reading the same forums I've been reading over the past few days.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Apparently Reggie didn't foresee the immaturity that many members of this forum apparently possess.
Personnally, i dont see it any less mature than the "you're stupid and obviously didn't even bother looking at other threads so i need to just post 2 links to unrelated threads" attitude.... to be honest i am really sick of people trying to redirect users that have questions... just answer the damn question people! who the hell cares if it has been answered before - copy and paste ffs.... its a hell of a lot more useful than saying "learn to search" or some other equally unhelpful comment. if you don't want to answer the question, don't post, pretty simple really.

HINT: if there is nothing to copy and paste then the user wont find an answer to his question at the link that you post

Last edited by overfloat; 2009-05-04 at 13:14. Reason: added hint..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
Personnally, i dont see it any less mature than the "you're stupid and obviously didn't even bother looking at other threads so i need to just post 2 links to unrelated threads" attitude.... to be honest i am really sick of people trying to redirect users that have questions... just answer the damn question people! who the hell cares if it has been answered before - copy and paste ffs.... its a hell of a lot more useful than saying "learn to search" or some other equally unhelpful comment. if you don't want to answer the question, don't post, pretty simple really.
What are trying to do, create a situation where General Antilles and I are bound to agree?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Personally I have a hard time be leaving people can't read a site that is black on white 90%+ of the sites our there are Black on White or Dark Test on light background. Google being one of the most visited sites in the world in black on white.

I too got a headache after a short time and think I know why, (though I'm not absolutely certain).

I think the previous (lighter) orange color in combination with some light gray text (post count, thanks, etc), and the large light gray area to the right side all combined to make my mind go into "looking into a light source" mode. I felt a slight strain which I don't get as much now since the change to darker orange, though it's still there in a tiny amount. I haven't figured out why, but at the top of the page there must be up to a dozen different fonts on a single screen, which is annoyingly "busy" (note: 'single screen' as opposed to a 'single page,' meaning the content, not page title area, etc.)

I didn't want to post on the subject of the new theme, besides adding "Thanks" to those posts I agree with, because after a while it seems like "piling on," but I found myself leaving the forum after a very short time, whereas I used to spend quite a while.

I do want to thank those who took it upon themselves to do the necessary work for the changeover -- I will, however, be happier when there are options, though.

Joe

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-03 at 04:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks. I find that a lot more palatable as a response than The creation of a Unified Look means that there can't be non-conforming options even though they would be seen only by those people who consciously chose to use them.

Are you saying it won't work even with a small amount of tweaking?

Next, if compatibility is the only problem, we ought to be able to have a Minimalistic Theme that looks approximately like what it looks like now, but with greater functionality than it currently exhibits. But you've said you're going to go for orange-on-white, etc. So "impracticality" (due to vBulletin constraints) appears to be an excuse, or not important, or just plain irrelevant, if you're going to go with a color-scheme etc. that many people have been objecting to.

So why don't you lay out the bottom line: Is it this notion that even the non-default options have to look like maemo.org?
The old theme would work with tweaking but every update would require tweaking to all the themes so more themes you have more tweaking you have to do. Reggie has stated if someone wants to do a new dark theme and have the community vote on it like this theme was voted on my community then we would add it, but every upgrade that person would have to tweak it.

In my thread about the minimalist theme I have stated several times that my main project for minimalist theme will be to match it to the current maemo.org theme. Then after all the improvements and changes I will invert the bottoms colors giving you a dark gray like the header with white/light text, but I will keep the orange for links. The work wont be done until after I get all the upgrades are done.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Apparently Reggie didn't foresee the immaturity that many members of this forum apparently possess.
This kind of response is why I have been coming here less and less. It seems like there has been a loss of cooperation around here. When I catch up on happenings and posts it just looks like there are two camps yelling at each other. This is ridiculous.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You, apparently, haven't been reading the same forums I've been reading over the past few days.
Yeah what he^ said...

A lot of the negativity seemed to me to have started around the time of these threads >>HERE<< and >>HERE<<

That's when many began to question the motivation behind some of these changes.

I know I felt kind of stupid having come here and contributing daily for over 2 years when I was told that this had all been discussed by others in one way or another on maemo.org.

In any event this^ was snide and uncalled for and BTW, IMHO laying it all on Reggie for maemo.org's failure to communicate with this forum is kind of weasely.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
What amazes me is two things.
First, that the admins apparently didn't anticipate the reactions.
I really think it was pretty obvious. This is "IT". You ALWAYS have this type of reaction to change, regardless of it's success.

Second, you really should never react to "constructive criticisms" (regardless of how wrong they might be) by pointing out how much better it is now and telling the end users they are wrong and just need to grow up.

It seems to me a great way to develop the absolutely best site in the world that only the admins ever use..

Yes, this site is about maemo, but it's really about the end users, isn't it??? Regardless of how wrong they are. ;-)

Complaints (and polls, they all lie.. :^) aside, the only real question is about the numbers. If fewer people are using it for maemo related topics (technical ones, not site ones), then it's a real issue. (I don't know the numbers, so I have no idea...)

Just some thoughts. It was a long week.

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2009-05-04 at 15:07. Reason: spelling

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
ugly.

That is all.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
It's amazing how many times this has been asked, with no direct answer provided? I'm starting to come up with some conspiracy theories. Anyone with me?
No one ever said it won't be done. No one ever said alternatives is not good.
But it's clear from this thread (and I am reading it only TODAY) that the issue is "who" does it.

The new style of maemo.org has been in discussion for ages and even I, that hadn't followed closer as before the forums, knew for ages how it was about to look like. There were alternatives and this one was picked up.
Plenty of time for suggestions, comments, feedback that was not, as it appears, given.

Thus, enough complaining. We deal with what we have and people are already dealing with a solution (i.e. an alternative).
Wanna help?

Be part of it (but I don't have to tell you where to go look for contributing, that's up to you).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post: