Hi,

I feel this should have been asked already but I cant find a post about it. So what is different in Mer? I guess what I'm asking is 'is Mer for me?' in that I'm fairly happy with how my tablet functions with Diablo at the moment. I think the main reasons why I would switch would be if OpenOffice was faster than through Debian chroot and if mouse support was faster, specifically bluetooth mouse.

There may well be things I hadnt even considered that are fantastic about Mer and if so I'd love for you to tell me as I always enjoy discovering new things to do with my NIT.

Thanks,

RichS

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
As you may have noticed, Nokia moved on to Fremantle, and there will likely be no more support for the current tablets from Nokia.

You can see Mer as a backport of Fremantle technology to 770, N800, and N810. Nokia is helping the Mer team on hardware and driver issues.

Mer is still in an early stage, so don't expect to use it as your main OS yet. But eventually, it will be able to replace Diablo.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
One of the other main advantages is that Mer is based on Ubuntu, which means that a huge amount of additional software is available. Not all of it is suitable for NITs, but plenty of it will work fine. If you don't like the default app for a task, there will likely be others available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Anyone knows when mer will support a2dp?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Anyone knows when mer will support a2dp?
I'm actually not sure if it does already, - but it probably will with PulseAudio (we need someone to write a PA plugin for the DSP tasks - any takers? Protocol is very simple and implemented quite simply in osso-esd and other places).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
One of the other main advantages is that Mer is based on Ubuntu, which means that a huge amount of additional software is available. Not all of it is suitable for NITs, but plenty of it will work fine. If you don't like the default app for a task, there will likely be others available.
That additional software will need to be recompiled for the NITs CPUs tho, right? So it's not like it is available now, but can be made available for NITs quite a bit easier than what it takes now, correct?

If I need a fast (but fully Google-compatible) browser, broad support of IM and SIP/Skype (voice-chats only) are there any advantages of moving to Mer now? In 6 months? In a year?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
That additional software will need to be recompiled for the NITs CPUs tho, right? So it's not like it is available now, but can be made available for NITs quite a bit easier than what it takes now, correct?
The vast majority of software in the Ubuntu repositories is already compiled for ARM.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
advantages, mer