Active Topics

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Lots of emails.

On the wiki.

Some blog posts.

Even some meeting logs.

Even here and here.

I'm not sure where the communication wasn't evident...?

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-05-01 at 20:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I think when major changes like this are happening they should be coordinated by the Maemo Council and emails should be sent out, just like they did for voting for maemo council.
I know you love to barb me, penguinbait, but, please, for the sake of the community. Please don't call it the "Maemo Council", because that's exactly what it is not. We do not oversee or govern Maemo and we do not have a say in what Nokia does with Maemo. We are facilitators for the Maemo Community and, thus, the Maemo Community Council.

Please, please, please try to get this one right. I am pleading with you here.

If you want to follow what's happening in the Maemo Community, then there are two places you should glance in on once every so often. The maemo-community mailing list, and Planet Maemo (and, more specifically, the council blog). All of these changes were discussed extensively in both places.

These email would send us all to a development website and we would give our input prior to the change in production.
There were emails, there were blog posts, there were meetings, there were threads right here on this forum.

As someone who has worked in IT for most of his life, this seems like a no brainer. Get all the complaints and problems worked out in development, as to not piss off all your users, also known as customers.
If you're unsatisfied with the experience a full refund is available at any time.

Edit: By the by, the new quote style is really *****in'.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-05-01 at 20:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Lots of emails.

On the wiki.

Some blog posts.

Even some meeting logs.

I'm not sure where the communication wasn't evident...?

Tim
Lots of emails?

Should I have recieved an email?? Seriously I don't, did anyone else? Is there something I have to sign up for?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Lots of emails?

Should I have recieved an email?? Seriously I don't, did anyone else? Is there something I have to sign up for?
If you really want to be this involved in this community (i.e., actually suggesting how maemo.org should be run), then yes, you should sign up for the maemo-community mailing list. See, up until now, itT was always an Internet Tablet users site, not a place where the inner-workings of maemo.org were usually discussed. This, of course, is changing now that itT and maemo.org have meshed.

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Here's the simple reality -- itT has become talk.maemo.org to attempt to bring to a close the gap between formerly two formerly autonomous sites. Think of it as a blessing, since if maemo.org started a separate set of end-user forum, itT will definitely fold after some time.

Have you tried to pause for a while and think why all these are happening? Let us not be too narrow minded and too self-centered here. All of these things are being done with a goal in mind, which encompasses the whole Nokia Internet Tablet / maemo.org / future Maemo device users and enthusiasts. It is actually because of YOU that this change is being done.

Now, for those who still don't get it and who find it fun to keep on complaining, how about designing a new theme -- dark, or whatever you think you need the site to look and lets have the community vote on them. Mind you, this new design was not just thought of overnight. It was a community effort with the help of designers from Nokia / INdT. If you think that you have a better idea on how the site should look, feel free to bring your design up and maybe, after a few moths, we can have it/them as other official theme choices. As they say, it's either you become part of the solution, or you are part of the problem.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Have they not been? As far as I'm aware, it was an open invitation. It just happens to be that very nearly everyone who is of moderator quality happens to be a member of maemo.org.
When all of the mods who have been added (i think about 6 new mods) are registered, voting-eligible, members of maemo.org (I think there is approximately 600 such people) and there are thousands and thousands of registered forum members; it seems (whether it's the situation or not) a bit unbalanced and suggestive of bias. I recall that someone had to actively solicit qole to be a council member and I think maemo.org is better off for the diversity of approach that he brings. maemo.org would be better off if it invited (as in actively encouraged) some active forum participants to be mods even if (especially if) you strongly disagree with their opinions or they strongly disagree with yours. If no person fitting such a description has asked to be a mod, then openly state that to be the case so people know the situation and that you want such a person to be a mod.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The discussion about moderators has little to do with the change of image, therefore please continue this discussion at Moderators. Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
again, if youd just enable the old themes it would make everyone happy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I asked why can't the old options be available to choose? Perhaps there is a technical reason, I don't know, why they were not included?
It's amazing how many times this has been asked, with no direct answer provided? I'm starting to come up with some conspiracy theories. Anyone with me?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Reggie, first I want to thank you for creating these forums and for all you do. This is a great place.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Here's the simple reality -- itT has become talk.maemo.org to attempt to bring to a close the gap between formerly two formerly autonomous sites. ...

Now, for those who still don't get it and who find it fun to keep on complaining, how about designing a new theme -- dark, or whatever you think you need the site to look and lets have the community vote on them.
What I don't understand is, if the orange and gray theme is so important to "close the gap" between the forums and maemo.org, why then invite people to create a dark theme? And if a dark theme is acceptable, why not add back the old dark theme? Was eliminating the old themes Nokia's call?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post: