Active Topics

Are the buttons on the top site of the N800 user configurable in Opera? With OS2005, I was able to edit an INI file in order to change the functionality of the +/- rocker button on the top side of the 770 from zoom in/out to page up/down in Opera but this "feature" was disabled in OS2006. Does the N800 and OS2007 re-introduce this ability?

Thanks in advance.

You know, that accessory mentioned in post #124 and the two magnets/refrigerator door >> I would, actually, stick it to the fridge door as I often use my 770 to find new recipes to try out/destroy in the kitchen!

Ok, I guess I again revealed how horribly low tech I am.. and for that I am also happy to see on Maemo that N800 app downloads are supposed to be "single click/button" -easy. Hooray!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
You know, that accessory mentioned in post #124 and the two magnets/refrigerator door >> I would, actually, stick it to the fridge door as I often use my 770 to find new recipes to try out/destroy in the kitchen!
They had better be neodymium super strong magnets otherwise I have visions of myself absently mindedly slamming the fridge door after removing a bottle of milk, totally forgetting I've attached with magnets a fairly weighty and expensive chunk of electronics and glass which, while suspended in mid air, gives up the battle against gravity and subsequently slams into the kitchen floor from a height of about 5.5 feet...

Perhaps it can claimed as a warranty repair considering Nokia recommended it?

Anyone know if the N800 is available anywhere in Southern California, preferably near San Diego? The two CompUSA stores I visited yesterday here in San Diego didn't have them, didn't know when they'd have them.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Putting OS 2007 on the 770 would be analogous to installing Windows Vista on a Tandy 1000.
Not really, it would be more like installing Vista on a machine that shipped with XP SP2, i.e. Suboptimal, but it works and is often worthwhile.

Milhouse, excellent point.. luckily the side of my fridge is also exposed so I won't have to put in on the door exactly.

Ah the dilemmas of the moder consumer: whether to buy N800, or one or two N75s for my wife and I, or wait for the N95... Too many, too difficult choises > obvious, inevitable conclusion > have to buy them all..

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
when will it be available to the masses? CompUSA doesnt have it on their site, or in the two stores i went to yesterday. the press release is out, when is the official launch date?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Originally Posted by eskin View Post
Anyone know if the N800 is available anywhere in Southern California, preferably near San Diego? The two CompUSA stores I visited yesterday here in San Diego didn't have them, didn't know when they'd have them.
Got mine in Fountain Valley (Orange County) CA, Saturday night. So they're out there.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
Not really, it would be more like installing Vista on a machine that shipped with XP SP2, i.e. Suboptimal, but it works and is often worthwhile.
No. Despite the short time span, there is a "generation's" difference between the two devices. Far too many changes for 100% backward compatibility, suboptimal or otherwise.

I find it ironic that some people who asked for more power are now complaining about the unexpected consequences.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No. Despite the short time span, there is a "generation's" difference between the two devices. Far too many changes for 100% backward compatibility, suboptimal or otherwise.

I find it ironic that some people who asked for more power are now complaining about the unexpected consequences.
We have a faster CPU, of the same architecture, more RAM, a webcam, BT 2.0 and 2 full-size SD/MMC slots.

While this is great, I will be buying an N800, the upgrade is to my eyes incremental, apart from the webcam, the changes are those that were expected in a revised 770 (which is what the N800 is).

I understand that the two devices would represent different build targets for the OS, but I see nothing that would prevent the 2007 OS from being relatively easily backported to the 770.