Active Topics

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Have you tried installing and then scripting UserContent.css Im2 ? For me it's the only way to fly.
Yup, I've got a userContent.css file. But the irony is that so many of the complaints about FWTV have the so-called "end user's" unwitting interests at heart. But some end-users need bigger font to read, and all of these end users will certainly hate horizontal scrolling. Obviously it is out of step with this concern for their plight for you to suggest they learn about userContent.css.

And in my own case, the point of the web is that I can jump from this site to that in a zip. Since I never know where I'm going, I never know which sites need to be mentioned in my userContent.css file. FWTV works instantaneously.

Last edited by lm2; 2009-04-16 at 20:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
You asked about the Fremantle browser and I answered about the Fremantle browser.
Perhaps I'll be satisfied with this way of increasing font size without horizontal scrolling. That's all I'm after. But please do pass along my (and others') wishes for this to be as easy to do as increasing a pages zoom to 300%, or, heck, setting FWTV now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
As I said, "Obviously I understand why people wouldn't want to have FWTV as the default option." But you can't seriously be so paternalistic that you'd rather eliminate it all together over making non-FWTV the default or putting FWTV deep in the menus? After all, you *know* there are some of us who have good reasons for wanting some sort of FWTV functionality.

Seriously, what's the big deal if FWTV remains an option, located exactly where it is, just like having a webpage zoomed in to 300% is an option? Obviously it would be silly to have 300% zoom be the default, but it's not silly for it to be an option.

If one is worried about end users, one could have a dialogue that pops up the first time someone selects FWTV warning them that it might make the browser run slower on complex webpages. One could add a "Don't show this message again" toggle box so people can choose to be warned each time it's selected.

I just don't get this dismissive attitude toward an option that it's obvious some people appreciate.
I agree with you fully. I use FWTV heavily and I hate horizontal scrolling. Making this option available but not turned on by default would be perfectly reasonable thing to do. Getting rid of this option would be a step back IMO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khalid For This Useful Post:
I agree with Im2. Granted, FWTV is not good for every page, but those sites/ pages that can utilize it are made so much easier to read. Personally, I use it multiple times a day, every day.

As a matter of fact, on lunch I stick to those sites where FWTV works, since the print can be made large enough that it's easier to read than a newspaper, making reading the N800 while eating lunch a much more pleasant experience, (which would otherwise be impossible on some sites).

Side scrolling is just annoying as hell.

Joe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
I have set mine on by default, without FWTV it will be miserable for me reading all that i needed to read on the Tablet. can't stand horizontal scrolling and i realy hope Fremantle comes with the ability to choose fonts for any application to the suitable readable fonts and some way to avoid the horizontal scrolling.
by the way can the font size on current tablets be increased to a larger size on all applications without using the zoom option?

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Un27Pee For This Useful Post:
It's obvious that FWTV works badly on some sites. Why should that be an argument against FWTV? It works brilliantly on other sites. That's the whole point: Have an arsenal of options available to be flexible enough to make the best possible web experience. I turn fwtv on and off as I jump from place to place, and I zoom up and down. Without those features I would tire of the whole thing and very probably stop browsing from my N800 at all.

Changing font size has been mentioned. Ok then. But can I expect a 'one size fits all' setting for this? Doesn't look like that to me, unless I override the fonts in the original web pages. Or will I have to use a menu to increase/decrease font sizes as I jump from page to page? Would that be an improvement from combining zoom with FWTV? Maybe it would, maybe not, but I don't know enough about how this is planned for the Fremantle browser.

For the record, I currently zoom up to 300% when using FWTV for some sites. The combo makes for just the right size (well, 270% would probably be optimal for those sites but the zoom steps are too high in my opinion - the next down is 240%. There's room for improvement in the zoom function here.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
How this setting in Fremantle works - is it known from eg Konq redefinition of minimal and normal font? If so, this can really replace FWTV option, if not that means that new browser will suck for users with eyesight problems or older people.

Last edited by vvaz; 2009-04-17 at 09:01.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Useful Programming Suggestion to Overcome Most Problems with "Fit Width to View": Have the browser, when opening, always be toggled to FWTV off.

I hope Font Size is a complete solution. If it isn't, then we need FWTV implemented again, and the above suggestion would eliminate most complaints. (Users forget they turned it on, start the browser, and don't know why some websites load miserably slowly or look all wrong.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
What about letting the user know that the width is being fit to view and show the progress? Then there are no mysterious delays while loading pages. And the user would not forget it's on. Or is it the case that fit width to view is done while loading? I get the feeling it's not based on my default use of fit width to view always on and the behavior of the browser.

I do have some faith that the Fremantle browser will not remove functionality.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Badly coded or not, without this feature this page would require incessant horizontal scrolling in microb when zoomed to 180%. Are you really prepared to condemn those of us whose eyes need 180% to horizontal scrolling? Sheesh.

Perhaps you suggest that nokia replace FWTV with a CTTPC (complain to this page's coder) option.
Well I'd ask why are you on the mobile page on a non-mobile browser like microb.

Second I'd ask why not use an RSS reader if you're trying to avoid the image heavy website?

I'm not arguing for the removal of fwtv, rather I'm questioning it's overall usefulness on a high rez screen. But clearly there are people who find it useful, perhaps there can be a plugin for the next version.

Tags
fixed in harmattan, what is microb?