Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
Sorry if there is a solution to this somewhere. I've been searching over the past two days, but have only turned up how to enable red pill mode, which I already know. Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I noticed that Troubleshooting can no longer be posted to, so I'm a little unsure of where to post.

Anyway, I've never had this problem in the past. I enable it as per the way to do so, and hit cancel. Everything does fine, it seems, but the applications list never updates. Even if I check for updates, it stays the same as it is in blue pill mode.

Any ideas?

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
i'm not sure red pill mode is supposed to show more packages in app manager. I always just used it to install from downloaded debs that would give an "incompatible package" error of some kind in blue pill mode. if you want more packages, add more repositories, or download debs from garage.maemo.org or from links in the forums.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
I should have phrased it better. I'm not looking for more applications -- just the different little debs needed to make the applications work (as you mentioned). Not seeing these like I used to.

The Following User Says Thank You to thepenguinonthetelly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The OS2008 is the right place for OS related questions like this one.

Are you following all the steps described at http://wiki.maemo.org/Red_Pill_mode ?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by thepenguinonthetelly View Post
Sorry if there is a solution to this somewhere. I've been searching over the past two days, but have only turned up how to enable red pill mode, which I already know. Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I noticed that Troubleshooting can no longer be posted to, so I'm a little unsure of where to post.

Anyway, I've never had this problem in the past. I enable it as per the way to do so, and hit cancel. Everything does fine, it seems, but the applications list never updates. Even if I check for updates, it stays the same as it is in blue pill mode.

Any ideas?
Red pill mode shouldn't really be used but as you wish...

Is /home/user/.osso/hildon-application-manager owned by user and not root?

Is "Show all packages" ticked in the settings?

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
(EDIT: oops. too late. already answered by more experienced users.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Is "Show all packages" ticked in the settings?
This setting is disabled by default now in Red Pill.

Red Pill mode should only be used for temporary troubleshooting. If there's something that doesn't appear in the Application Manager that you need to install, you should be using apt-get.