Active Topics

Poll: Why didn't you vote?
Poll Options
Why didn't you vote?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Sometimes out here, its like talking to Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

You know, I offered some constructive criticism, you don't like it don't use it. Seriously though, grow up.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Sometimes out here, its like talking to Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

You know, I offered some constructive criticism, you don't like it don't use it. Seriously though, grow up.
That's one.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The basic rule of community involvement: if you see a problem, don't wait for someone else to fix it.
Dave saw a problem. I opened this poll after reading his mail on the list.

Everything else in this thread is useless crap if you don't ask the same question Dave asked:
I was hoping that I could get some feedback from those who decided not to vote in the election, on why that was.
If, and only if, you ask yourself the same question, you got one answer here. Not the answer, as there may be many, maybe not even a correct answer. But it's information. You read it, then you know it. You needn't agree or even have any opinion about it. Just don't argue with people who answer the question you (maybe) asked. All they did was to answer it.

I understand it's emotionally difficult to follow this thread if you didn't ask this question in the first place so you're confronted with an answer without wanting to know... (that's why we learn to give feedback in real life only if the other person asks for it). Even more, being personally involved as a council member doesn't make it easier.
As I read it, there was nobody here saying you're not doing a good job as a council. Some of us say your PR could be better. You either don't talk enough about it, or you talk in the wrong places or use the wrong words or whatever...
But please: Dont mix this. Somebody saying "I don't know what you're doing" is not the same as "I don't think you're doing anything at all" or "You'r not doing a good job". Maybe this is how it's understood emotionally and what caused the ... well, chill here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
My head hurts from all this shuffling, and all this talk about shuffling. I voted and I'm going to vote again. I'm not sure where I'm suppose to post what. Is it a bug? Is it a suggestion? Is it just a waste of my time? F*ck, there's just too many cooks. It seems like there's 5 council members with 7 agendas. Maybe do a few more things in private. Regardless,

I vote, that when all the smoke clears and all the dust settles, that maemo.org, in honor of Fremantle and me, has a full-service theme with a black background. And big buttons.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Dave saw a problem. I opened this poll after reading his mail on the list.

Everything else in this thread is useless crap if you don't ask the same question Dave asked:

If, and only if, you ask yourself the same question, you got one answer here. Not the answer, as there may be many, maybe not even a correct answer. But it's information. You read it, then you know it. You needn't agree or even have any opinion about it. Just don't argue with people who answer the question you (maybe) asked. All they did was to answer it.

I understand it's emotionally difficult to follow this thread if you didn't ask this question in the first place so you're confronted with an answer without wanting to know... (that's why we learn to give feedback in real life only if the other person asks for it). Even more, being personally involved as a council member doesn't make it easier.
As I read it, there was nobody here saying you're not doing a good job as a council. Some of us say your PR could be better. You either don't talk enough about it, or you talk in the wrong places or use the wrong words or whatever...
But please: Dont mix this. Somebody saying "I don't know what you're doing" is not the same as "I don't think you're doing anything at all" or "You'r not doing a good job". Maybe this is how it's understood emotionally and what caused the ... well, chill here.

And with that I have more on my original answer on the first page of this thread. In it I said...

Out of frustration I have stuck with what works and wait patiently for new information to make its way to this "ghetto" as it has been called. I suppose this ghetto is my "comfort zone".

Since then I'm sure changes for the better have been made to maemo.org, et al however, because of the time I waisted initially trying to parse newbie info out of Maemo.org or even just connect, it will take some time before I feel comfortable interacting with it again.

I do understand that soon I will have no choice.
I have since gone back to Maemo.org and found that I do in fact have Karma and should have received an e-mail.
Naturally I suspect that the addy Maemo.org has for me is incorrect so I took a look to find out how I can check.

There doesn't seem to be one.

Now either I'm to stupid to find it or the site is not designed very well.

Whatever the reason, this has now added to my frustration and I think I'll just hang out here until we are assimilated.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
There doesn't seem to be one.
That little floating Midgard toolbar contains all of the answers.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That little floating Midgard toolbar contains all of the answers.
Not always >> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8&postcount=10

Perhaps with regard to many things Maemo.org related some of you heavy users should pause and ask yourself... "Back in the day, when I first started using Maemo.org were all my moves intuitive; or did I ask another member or did I need to read a post many layers down in order to figure it out?"

If the answer isn't "It was intuitive" then I suspect whatever problems you had then, new users will have now.

What is worse than that is (IMHO) the misperception that develops among new users that these counter intuitive moves are there by design in order to maintain some sort of elite status quo. (Easy there Sheldon, I wrote mis-perception and it is MHO .)

Because after all, why shouldn't all these smart folks be able to see the forest for all the dang trees?

To answer the original question posted in this thread:

I did not vote because voting required interaction with Maemo.org and that site frustrates the hell out of me.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-04 at 14:39.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
If the answer isn't "It was intuitive" then I suspect whatever problems you had then, new users will have now.
It doesn't matter how straight forward I, or others, found setting up a maemo.org profile to be. It's now clear that some people are struggling with the process. Therefore, I'll work on adding step-by-step instructions to the wiki. Please be patient though; I won't be able to start work on the documentation until this evening at the earliest.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
"Maemo.org" is never correct, it's always "maemo.org".

Perhaps with regard to many things Maemo.org related some of you heavy users should pause and ask yourself... "Back in the day, when I first started using Maemo.org were all my moves intuitive; or did I ask another member or did I need to read a post many layers down in order to figure it out?"
Well, it's not relevant, really, since when most of the "heavy" users started using it, it wasn't Midgard. Anyway, improvements are coming to the profile page. You say maemo.org frustrates you, but the complaints so far have only been about the profile (which is a very small part of maemo.org).

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-04-04 at 15:26.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Improvements to the council homepage are planned, and suggestions on what you'd like to see are welcome.
I've made a first pass: expanding more on the ongoing tasks the council does, and adding an FAQ section.

Comments and suggestions are, as ever, welcome.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
community council, maemo.org