Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
oh... my good old atari 400

it was the best in those days....

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
No, the Atari 400 was totally useless. You couldn't download anything from the repositories, the UI was sluggish, and forget trying to navigate anywhere using it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by qole View Post
No, the Atari 400 was totally useless. You couldn't download anything from the repositories, the UI was sluggish, and forget trying to navigate anywhere using it!
Heehee! !

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Registry tweaks to try to make it faster, turn off services I didn't want or didn't use. Editting the boot up screens and the themes (without installing any other software to do so for you which then means more patching of files). As for how it screwed up, Windows update. (but like I pointed out, that's a problem you'll face with almost every system, Apple, Linux, Windows)

There was something else I don't remember though that I didn't like about hacking around with Windows. I think it had to do with the different libraries.
I remember the time when there were all these windows themes going around. I think I tried using one to change the startup/shutdown screen
which ended up screwing windows pretty hard.

but I mean, I don't see why anyone would want to mess with that stuff now anyway.

" Editting the boot up screens and the themes (without installing any other software to do so for you which then means more patching of files)."

thing about this point is, its not really necessary to mess with the windows themes. but it is necessary to follow endless steps on the n810 to get most of the programs you want working.

there is a way to change the boot up screen w/ the n810 as well. and change the themes. but that really has nothing to do with improving the performance of the tablet, or even getting things to actually work/install.

its the difference between "hacking around" out of necessity or "hacking around" for fun/cosmetic reasons

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
... and it didn't have a cancel-button. right. maybe it wasn't all that great.

And that keyboard sucked. You could spill coffee on it though. 800 all the way. Although coffee would fry it.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I LOVED bbs's.
something about ascii drawings and ansi animations over a 28.8 modem... ahh.
28.8 ?... I got started on a 1200 baud ISA card modem, then "upgraded" to a 2400 pocket external (all illegal US import, due to protectionist measures by our local monopoly at the time). My first (second-hand) 14.4 USR cost me an arm and a leg, but I couldn't believe the download speeds I was seeing at first. Not to mention the monthly bills, as even local calls were metered here...

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
28.8 ?... I got started on a 1200 baud ISA card modem, then "upgraded" to a 2400 pocket external (all illegal US import, due to protectionist measures by our local monopoly at the time). My first (second-hand) 14.4 USR cost me an arm and a leg, but I couldn't believe the download speeds I was seeing at first. Not to mention the monthly bills, as even local calls were metered here...
1200? Try 300 with a comm program that was max 40 characters per line. Talk about useless. 99.999% of all BBS were 80 characters. Okay, I'm exagerrating. 100%.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
i feel ya... my first modem was a 2400 on a packard bell 486/66 dx2 (i dont believe my c64 had a modem...), first upgrade was a 14.4 that i got FOR FREE cuz a friend upgraded to something else, super expensive (not sure what).

i had some kinda ameritech plan where you only paid 5cents for local calls, and there were a surprising number of BBSs in the 708.

(PS i got my laptop back! now if the n810 would come, life would be complete!)
(PPS what would anyone suggest be a version of linux to install on my laptop (dual boot) to get myself familiarized with it again? its been 10+ years easily since i used linux (redhat) and i want to be ready for the 810)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
1200? Try 300 with a comm program that was max 40 characters per line. Talk about useless. 99.999% of all BBS were 80 characters. Okay, I'm exagerrating. 100%.
Oh, ok, we're having that kind of a contest now.

40 characters? Try using a 300 baud modem running on a Vic-20 with 3.5k user RAM and a 22 character wide display.

Yay. I win.

EDIT: Jayonthabeat: install Ubuntu. That's your best bet for a "just-works" Linux. It also will get you used to the package system of the tablets.

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-02 at 23:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive