Active Topics

I know this is probably obvious, but I'm trying to move some PDF's onto my n800 and view them... The directory structure when I USB connect is terribly confusing with a bunch of .install files and a map and a tmp directory. I have no idea where to put them in order to retrieve them later... Could somebody help me out?

Also if anybody could point me to a few emulator tutorials that would be awsome. THANKS!

-Dan

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
The USB connection will show whatever memory cards you have in your tablet. I'm assuming you've downloaded some maps, and some .install files, so it's showing those. Drop your PDFs wherever you'd like (perhaps create a folder for organization purposes?), unplug the USB and open your file manager. Browse your memory cards and you should be able to find the PDFs.

Now this is weird, I can't seem to browse to my memory card in file manager, I know it is connected because when I USB to my computer and I open the second (Memory Card) Folder, It is able to access what is on it.

Any Ideas?

When the tablet is connected to your PC, the cards become unavailable to the tablet.
Disconnect from PC first, then you should see the cards in the tablet's file manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to superbondbond For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
That does seems strange. What OS are you running on your computer? Also, it might be worth removing and putting the memory card back in. Sometimes the card reader on my n800 is a bit picky, and replacing the memory card causes it to appear.

Okay I'm dumb. Apperently you cant access memory cards when in USB mode... ahem... whoops.

Soo... emulators?

If you want PDF files visible on the N800 that exist on an SD card, create a directory on the SD card called PDF and put everything in it. Run whatever PDF reader you want, browse to the SD card when it's inserted, find the PDF folder, open it and load the PDF you want.

Simple.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
given the map dir, i suspect what your looking at is the internal memory card of the N800.

using the tablet file manager as a reference:

the area named "Nokia N800" can not be accessed via usb. this is part of the file system that the tablet uses to store programs and the os itself (and no, you can not move programs elsewhere), so avoid storing large files there as it will take up space best used for programs.

"Internal memory card" is the card under the battery cover. when the usb cable is plugged in, it will be removed from the file manager and made available to the pc via the cable (unless one have set up cache on the card and its being used).

"External memory card" is the card found under the stand. this will also be removed from the file manager and made available to the pc when usb is plugged in.

the reason for it being this way is partially related to how linux handles storage devices, and partially for ease of development.

when you hook a hardrive or similar to a linux machine, its not given a drive letter like in windows.

instead one take a empty folder/directory and "mount" the drive to it, showing the content of the drive as the content of the folder.

the N800 automates this with the help of sensors in the battery cover and the hinged card cover, "unmounting" the card(s) depending on the condition of said sensors.

the same unmounting happens when the usb cable is connected.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
tso , Thanks !

Something like this
+ a bit of info about when FAT formating from a computer
might solve mmc r/o or unseen-card problems

could be a valuable addition to the wiki page,
considering how often such questions reappear.