Active Topics

Notices

And a PowerPoint presenter would be good too if and when the next tablet has TV out...

The OP's idea for thumbnails and notes for slides is a good one, and something I'd love to see. In the meantime I've bought an HP PC Card Bluetooth Mouse, (spec sheet). It's basically a rebranded Mogo, but can be had for $15-$30 with rebates. Mogo also has other models with more functionality, but I can do everything I need with two mouse buttons. Definitely worth looking into for an always charged, never left behind presentation tool.

Is there something you can use to display notes and thumbnails on your laptop instead of the tablet, using the projector as a second monitor rather than mirroring?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by microfab View Post
I want/need what would be a killer application for the N800 and N810. I envision using the N800 as a powerpoint presenter in which the "d"-pad is used to advance the powerpoint slides on a blue-tooth connected computer. On the n800 screen (preferably in portrait mode) would be, possibly an thumbnail of the current slide, but most importantly the notes for the speaker pertaining to the current slide. As the next slide advances, the notes for each successive slide are displayed on the N800 screen.

The only potential issue might be the maximum range of the BT receiver. Another possibility would be a usb cable that plugs from the N800 to the powerpoint computer that advances the slides. Obviously there would have to be a program running on the presentation computer as well to accept the input from the N800 to advance or go back from slide to slide.

Any programmers out there?
Except for the Slide notes being on the tablet... Have you looked at Bluemaemo ?

It currently has a control screen specifically set up to navigate presentations.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
That's what I use for my presentations now. The only problem is I keep my notes on the tablet as well so I have to keep switching windows.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
As for the the powerpoint viewer, there is a solution readily available: easy debian turbo charged ed. - openoffice can read your powerpoint files.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpt000 For This Useful Post:
Sorry for waking up an old thread, but given the rise of pocket sized LED projectors, some of which are usable through bluetooth, why not come up with a powerpoint viewer that can send the presentation output to the projector over bluetooth? That would combine lazuli's idea with that of the OP. That way all you have to do is plop the pocket projector onto the nearest table, pair it up, start the presenter, and you're off to the races.

Again, not the answer the OP was looking for, but how about one of these:
http://www.buy.com/prod/evga-uv12-pl...208189244.html

It's a USB to VGA adapter. It's supposedly not very good with video, but for slideshows I'm sure it would sufficient. It's still a wired solution, though, and I'd love to see a wireless one. BlueMaemo seems to be the best bet, but there's no preview.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have used VNC over WiFi for this, it works well for giving you a preview. But you need a WiFi network that allows VNC (not all do), and VNC server installed on the laptop. BlueMaemo doesn't require that.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
This was just announced on the maemo-users list:

https://devel.airadier.com/xpressent

It seems to be exactly what the OP was asking for!

Wow. Sounds good. Keep us informed. Also, btw, the site certificate at that dev site is busted. They may want to consider fixing that.