Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
On my friends Mac, there is no button to connect to the N810. i.e. there is no way to initiate the connection from the computer. I think he has the latest OS, but he is running a powerPC Mac, not intel.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
I have 10.5.6, and there definitely is a way to initiate the connection. You can either go from the Bluetooth icon in the system tray or go to System Preferences > Bluetooth and then click on the device you want, tell it to connect, etc. Also, there it should show the services it sees on the device. For my N810, it calls its type "Combo" and lists "BlueZ HID mouse & Keyboard" and "OBEX Object Push" in its Services.

Hope this helps. Sorry I haven't actually got my N810 on me to mess with it, but I assure you that it works (and has consistently and repeatedly).

The Following User Says Thank You to phutterman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
On my friends Mac, there is no button to connect to the N810. i.e. there is no way to initiate the connection from the computer. I think he has the latest OS, but he is running a powerPC Mac, not intel.
Does his Mac have BlueTooth? Mine doesn't, but I toss in a BlueTooth USB radio and in the Apple keyboard and it works.

Its fairly easy to set up too. Once you enabled your BlueTooth hardware you configure it. Make your NIT discoverable.

On the Apple you select in BlueTooth that you wish to setup a new device. The confusing part is that you must select 'Any Device' instead of specifically either 'Keyboard' or 'Mouse'. Now you fill in a PIN and this you verify on the NIT. Now they are paired, but not connected, and your Mac does not know the NIT supports HID profile. So for now it has only OBEX (or maybe HSP if you selected Headset as well). To get your Mac to recognize HID profile you select your NIT on the Mac BlueTooth config, you fire up BlueMaemo on the NIT and select Open Connection. Now you go in the BlueTooth config on the Mac and select 'configure this device' or 'update name' or 'update services'. Now it will add the HID as 'BlueZ Keyboard & Mouse' or something like that, and your NIT will say 'connected to <Mac_Name>. Afterwards, disable 'visible' or 'discoverable' on your BlueTooth devices.

Now my NIT can do something my iPod cannot: control my Mac over BlueTooth NIT is suddenly upgraded to a cool remote. Although there is VNC and all kind of daemons for Mac as well, these all use IPv4 networking thus requiring e.g. WiFi.

Disadvantage is that when I take out the BlueTooth USB adapter and toss it in another computer I have to resetup the thing while my NIT thinks its the same computer because of the MAC address of the BlueTooth USB adapter... but hey, it works!!

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I appear to be connected on the Mac side: After selecting connect the indicator goes from red to green along with "connected" text. The right side of the preferences pane
window I see

type: combo
services: blue z hid keyboard & mouse, obex object push
paired: yes
connected: yes

On the N800, I see "Waiting for connection." I've let it run for several minutes.

I get this in the sytem log, but I don't know where to go from here:

Mar 14 10:26:43 Macintosh kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][processCommandWL][00-19-4f-db-bc-94] Releasing All Channels
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: addDeviceToHIDEmulationMode - unrecognized HID device; NOT storing the link keys to the module.
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: isCSR: 1 isBRCM: 0
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: major class: 5 minor class: 48

Updating the device name and services have not helped.

Last edited by mfortner; 2009-03-14 at 14:52.

Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
I appear to be connected on the Mac side: After selecting connect the indicator goes from red to green along with "connected" text. The right side of the preferences pane
window I see

type: combo
services: blue z hid keyboard & mouse, obex object push
paired: yes
connected: yes

On the N800, I see "Waiting for connection." I've let it run for several minutes.

I get this in the sytem log, but I don't know where to go from here:

Mar 14 10:26:43 Macintosh kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHIDDriver][processCommandWL][00-19-4f-db-bc-94] Releasing All Channels
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: addDeviceToHIDEmulationMode - unrecognized HID device; NOT storing the link keys to the module.
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: isCSR: 1 isBRCM: 0
Mar 14 10:26:52 Macintosh blued[89]: major class: 5 minor class: 48

Updating the device name and services have not helped.

I'm having the exact same issue. I've followed every Mac-related post in this thread and though I can send and receive files, and browse the Mac from the NIT in File Manager, BlueMaemo is still Waiting For Connection. I'm running the latest Leopard build and the latest NIT firmware.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hmm... well, I have a N810... haven't tried with N800. Can you check the syslog on the NIT as well? That syslog message is OK; I have same in system.log when it works. Using keyboard right now (both virtual and hardware).

Suddenly my special keys (Fn, Shift) stopped working on the hardware keyboard though. That is a different issue but I'm stating it anyway. Reconnecting solved it.

I'm on Leopard 10.5.6 PPC with a recent BlueTooth 2.0 USB adapter. You can see in System Profiler many details of your BlueTooth chipset.

But when I was reconfiguring BlueTooth on my Mac to see what my syslog would say it did crash. And when I disabled or enabled BlueTooth the USB adapter would still not be present. I could unplug and replug it, but that did not solve it. I had to reboot. My machine crawled and my syslog was full with blued errors, repeating the same about it now knowing the HID. But I get that message even when it works just fine!

I have BlueTooth icon in my menu btw. When I fire up BlueMaemo I do Open Connection. Then I click on the BlueTooth icon in my menu, go to my device name -> click Connect -> and BlueMaemo states my Mac's name. Then I'm in.

The 2 BlueTooth devices are 1 meter away from each other.

I did a bit of reading and I learned BlueTooth HID is merely a wrapper for USB HID. Have you installed an older USB stack from earlier Mac? Those are sometimes required to get an iPod/iPhone into DFU mode for jailbreak. Just a wild guess though.

You can also check out the system logs on the NIT.

[EDIT]It crashed again a while after I tethered and synced my Nokia E71 succesfully. The NIT disappeared from the list of BlueTooth devices in System Preferences, and the thing was totally stuck. iSync was also stuck.[/EDIT]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-03-14 at 17:36.

I am having trouble installing Bluemaemo. I installed that Canola2 base Repo that mentioned in the 1st post but no luck. I have tried apt-get and Maemo website .install. Both results in this error:

E: Couldn't find package bluemaemo

Any suggestions on what to do?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I am having trouble installing Bluemaemo. I installed that Canola2 base Repo that mentioned in the 1st post but no luck. I have tried apt-get and Maemo website .install. Both results in this error:

E: Couldn't find package bluemaemo

Any suggestions on what to do?
BlueMaemo is on the extras repository (http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...e/b/bluemaemo/), so the .install file should work fine, please try to install BlueMaemo again using the .install file.

what do I need to use it with Broadcomm dongle and driver? I don't see something like "bluetooth keyboard" in BT Windows XP driver controls

when I run BlueMaemo it only shows "Waiting for connection"

should I have something more on PC side to get it working? kind of driver with BT keyb/mouse support?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Gourmand View Post
what do I need to use it with Broadcomm dongle and driver? I don't see something like "bluetooth keyboard" in BT Windows XP driver controls

when I run BlueMaemo it only shows "Waiting for connection"

should I have something more on PC side to get it working? kind of driver with BT keyb/mouse support?
* Turn bluetooth on.
* Start BlueMaemo on the device.
* Go to the bluetooth preferences and choose ‘Add a new device’.
* Choose the device and choose a blank password (you can also choose a numeric password the PassAgentKey will appear on the device asking for the password).

Tags
bluemaemo, bluetooth, hid