nevermind i fixed it

Hello.

Thanks everyone who made this work, so far. I have got virtual memory disabled finally, by using the rebooting technique, then straight away unchecking the box. Now, I have got to back up my data. I have a question, by formatting the internal memory card, so do I exactly lose? Do I lose all my apps installed, themes, settings? I know I will lose my current files in the internal memory card, but I am going to back them up.
When I format the n810, will I be able to go back in the n810, and it will be the same?

Thanks Just don't want to lose anything. Then, I will upgrade Diablo, I haven't done so yet, because i have important files here I wanted to keep.

Sorry for the bump, but I can't delete any files, or move any files, so the file manager is being a great pain.

Once again, thanks for your help in this thread.

Originally Posted by tehforum View Post
Hello.

I have a question, by formatting the internal memory card, so do I exactly lose? Do I lose all my apps installed, themes, settings? I know I will lose my current files in the internal memory card, but I am going to back them up.
When I format the n810, will I be able to go back in the n810, and it will be the same?

Thanks Just don't want to lose anything. Then, I will upgrade Diablo, I haven't done so yet, because i have important files here I wanted to keep.
If you format your N810's internal memory card, you will only lose the data that is currently stored on it. You won't lose any apps, settings, etc unless they are stored/installed on your internal memory card. The N810's operating system will not be affected from formatting your internal memory card (mmc2). I'd recommend formatting by using the file manager app, or e2fsprogs if you're comfortable with command line.

By updating to Diablo (reflashing your N810 from Chinook) then you will lose your installed apps, settings, etc. You can make a backup using the "backup/restore" app, but I'd recommend starting fresh if you're updating from Chinook for compatibility issues.

jbk

The Following User Says Thank You to jbk For This Useful Post:
I see what you're getting onto, thanks

Okay, should make a backup of my internet memory card, and make a separate backup/restore backup to move to my computer when I install Diablo, just incase. I will also make a list of all the apps I have installed, so I can download them all again (ugh!)

I've always had a problem with my application manager actually, that it would never install big applications, and always have a tiny bit left to install, but it would neve do it.

I will make a backups of my entire internal memory card, then format the internet memory card. Then make a list of the apps I need, then upgrade to Diablo.

Just me checking in again.

I can't make a backup/restore backup on my internal memory card, because it says it's read only, so it can't make it. But the essential thing is my settings, and applications. How would I work round this?

I have backup'ed my internal memory card on my computer.

Thanks

Edit - nevermind, I found an ancient 16mb mini card I could back up my stuff on.

Last edited by tehforum; 2008-11-04 at 17:19.

I bought a unit from Amazon on 12-15-08 and it was affected by this issue. Quick fix though.

Andrew

Hi there,
My N810 had this problem, and I've formatted everything OK, but when I try to restore the 11mb backup from my sd card, it goes through saying its restoring, but nothing ever gets restored!!! Is there anything special I need to do with the restore function?
Many thanks
Vince

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Brampton, Ontario, Canada
YES! I had been putting off the n810 internal memory fix for a while but, now that I've done it:

Maemo Recorder = WORKING!
Map = Working!

So if you're someone that had either of those apps not working you could be in luck for a fix!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
My N810 that I got just a couple of months ago had this badly formatted internal card, so thanks for the fix.