Active Topics

Notices

I know there are a few other posts around this sight for setting up video conferencing between your N8x0 and a PC or Mac, but I had to look around quite a bit to see different suggestions and try different things. Eventually I got it working and working great. So, being a newbie myself I decided to put it all in one thread in the newbie forum for other newbies.
I set up 2 gizmo accounts to get SIP numbers and then used those number in the SIP Client on the N8x0 and Xlite on my PC. I didn't like gizmo much...it took up a lot of resources and was unstable at times on my PC. So here is how I did it using very lite programs.

1. On the N8x0 and PC download gizmo and install it. This the only way I know how to get a Gizmo account. After I have my accounts I actually uninstall the applications on both. Then go to Gizmo5.com and go to the "My" tab. Log in and you will see your account along with your SIP number.

2. Then on the N8x0 click on the Client at the top (green button at top). Click on "account settings"...then "New"...then "next". For service choose "SIP" (or sipphone for those who have the RTcomm beta installed). Put your Gizmo username or SIP number in and password. After the @ put proxy01.sipphone.com. Then hit the "Advanced"...hit "Authentication" then just put your Gizmo user name and password. Done. You don't need to change anything else.

3. On my PC (again I downloaded Gizmo and installed it to sign up for an account, then uninstalled it) after getting my second Gizmo SIP number...I downloaded Xlite and installed it. Set up your SIP account on it by putting your Gizmo username and password from your second Gizmo account. Under domain put
proxy01.sipphone.com and at the "domain proxy" choose "proxy" and put proxy01.sipphone.com again. Done.

Now just watch while it registers and once it does, call your N8x0 and try it out (enter the first gizmo sip number). Once you make the call save it as a contact so you don't have to memorize the SIP number every time.
I have always been using Skype but when I travel I don't want just talk to my wife and kids, I want to see them (and they me). So this worked great. I have only used around my area and at work, but when I travle again I will be using it all the time.
I just wanted to post this because so many people have posted useful things(for me) that I wanted to spell it out for other newbies like me.

Last edited by icbolsh; 2008-11-21 at 06:34.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to icbolsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Madrid, France
Thanks icbolsh for the detailed explanation of what you did! Many people that haven't set up a SIP yet will save themselves a lot of time drudging through the other threads!

In continue creating a thread that only deals with SIP settings, especially for those that already have a SIP number setup , it would be great to learn the particularities of these SIP settings on our N8x0 (N800, N810) with OS2008.

So if anyone could come up with answers to the questions below, assuming that they are good questions, maybe this will further our knowledge on how to tweek our configurations to work with any SIP number.
________
For this example, lets pretend my Ekiga registration e-mail indicated the following:

The registration process is now done!
Your SIP address is: sip:toast@ekiga.net (this is what you will be giving out to your contacts)
You can now configure your softphone (e.g. Ekiga):

* Your username is: toast
* Your password is: t8stee

If you are using another softphone than Ekiga, you'll probably need to set the "registrar" to: ekiga.net

____
Having receied this email, I then enter Communications/Internet Call, and create a new account. I select the SIP service:

Now I am wondering about some of the major topics in reference to what needs to be entered into all of the fields. I think maybe some of these might need to be treated on their own (thread?)
.:.:.

1) under "username", do we need to preceed our given usernames, in the above example "toast", with "sip:"?
ie: would we enter: "Toast" or "sip:Toast"

2) Under ADVANCED settings, what should all of those settings be? Do I need to enter the Outgoing proxy, and is it "Ekiga.net"? How can I tell what port to enter? Should it stay at 5060?

3) under ADVANCED/authentication, what is this used for? Do I enter for the 'authentication user name'? "Toast" , or "sip:Toast@ekiga.net" or maybe just "Toast@ekiga.net"?

4) What are the conditions under which STUN should not be set to Auto-Detect?
____

And then there is another unknown, the variable of the "router ports", right? How does one eliminate that variable? How does one go about making sure the 'port' situation is honkyDoree?
____

So if there are no answers to these question, I guess I'll go through the motions of setting up another SIP with gizmo and follow icbolsh's directions. But that would simply irk me (especially the 'not knowing' part).

shrug... Thanks!

If my questions are too particular to Ekiga.net, please let me know (especially in reference to the userame issues).

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
luck you, I have yet to get some image through... Using the same setup as you.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ New York
Nice post Icbolsh,

It wasn't clear to me if you were using gizmo on your n8x0 or rtcomm beta? Does anyone use rtcomm beta and is able to use it to video conference? If so is the quality better when video calling to a computer using xlite?

Thanks everyone! I love my N810 more everyday :-)

Originally Posted by ltrinh View Post
Nice post Icbolsh,

It wasn't clear to me if you were using gizmo on your n8x0 or rtcomm beta? Does anyone use rtcomm beta and is able to use it to video conference? If so is the quality better when video calling to a computer using xlite?

Thanks everyone! I love my N810 more everyday :-)
I am using the rtcomm beta,. I only installed gizmo to get the account set up. Then I uninstalled Gizmo and set up the account on my rtcomm using a siphone account.

Great tutorial! Thanks a lot!

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Ocean City
Thanks icbolsh,

I'm using my N800 to call my Lenovo S10 netbook, no problem going that direction.

I can't call from the S10 using Xilite to the N800- always get busy signal.
nothing happens on the N800, I'm using the "Internet Call" program.

But at least I have 1 direction working now, thanks much!!!

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Ocean City
Well it worked for 1 day.

X-lite stopped working.
It gives the "timeout error".

On their forums others seem to have the same problem with not many answers.

I'm still trying to figure it out , I'll keep you posted.

hi,
i am using gizmo5 for vidoe calling , working well (!!!) with pc video calling only on wifi connection , tried over bluetooth with nokia n95 seems problemetic ..............any siggestions please

Cool! Thanks for the information. I have had enough readings on videos and conferencing but it's informative especially when I have had conversations in forums. Are there screen shots or videos too with regards to this topic?

Video Conference, Site Mail, Pocket Mail