Active Topics

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks for posting the link. That patent does not cover any store and forward of a fax transmission using any method. It's more specific than that.
Yes, it was the wrong link because I didn't know exactly how the patent was called or who owned the patent. I asked my boss today and you find the patent under "AudioFax" and the company who owns it is "Catch Curve". Do a search for the two terms and you'll find lots of info.

Last edited by ioan; 2009-01-28 at 17:42.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Speaking of patents and touchscreens, have you read this?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/p...sony-surfaces/

Fun stuff.

Tim
I'm not sure how it happened, but from that link, I ended up watching a hung-over TV news show host (Al Roker) demonstrating the Microsoft Surface while making inappropriate comments about the size of his co-hosts' ..erm... equipment and talking about a drunk Ann Coulter.

Update: here's the offending sentence...

It appears to be quite a bit smaller than Microsoft's uber-table, and a lot less likely to get Al Roker's groove on too

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
This is ********. On Wikipedia you can see tons of earlier multi-touch implementations. Remember, those are publicly known implementations worth mentioning on Wikipedia. There might be tons more. Nokia, with the inventor from Maemo SW, also applied for a multi-touch related patent. This patent is pure FUD.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
This is ********. On Wikipedia you can see tons of earlier multi-touch implementations. Remember, those are publicly known implementations worth mentioning on Wikipedia. There might be tons more. Nokia, with the inventor from Maemo SW, also applied for a multi-touch related patent. This patent is pure FUD.
Did you read the thread yet? We've already dissected the patent. It's the web site posting that's FUD.

I believe none of the prior multi-touch implementations on Wikipedia is for a handheld communications device. I finally got around to posting the first patent including multi-touch on a cell phone here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=26478

Can you identify/link the Nokia patent you mention?

Nice article: "Apple vs. Palm - the in-depth analysis": http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/a...epth-analysis/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macit For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I like the list in that article of Palm patents that the iPhone seems to be already infringing

I don't like the the appearance from the article's lead picture that each generation of touchscreen mobile device seems to be getting a smaller and smaller screen

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I don't like the the appearance from the article's lead picture that each generation of touchscreen mobile device seems to be getting a smaller and smaller screen
Don't worry, that problem can be solved by buying the upcoming iMagnifiying Glass.

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/a...epth-analysis/ Engadget has a (surprisingly) good analysis on the patents.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/a...epth-analysis/ Engadget has a (surprisingly) good analysis on the patents.
Much better than you typically get on the free Internet and nice for someone to do it, particularly:

"So where's the "multitouch patent" everyone keeps going on about? Well, we certainly couldn't find the sort of broad patent that would qualify..."

and also the counterpoint

"What both sides could do is tweak their pending patent applications to more accurately describe their competitors' products and then try to sue based on those -- it's actually considered good practice for tech companies to always have patents pending, so they can try and cut their competitors off..."

There's obviously quite a bit left unaddressed, but good job on both actually doing some research and some well grounded analysis. a surprising (to me) contribution from engadget

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower

Tags
multitouch, patent