Active Topics

Notices

I've seen several posts about Rapier and other Bible software, so I've decided to make mine available to those that are interested. It is cross platform and runs in Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X so porting to the N800 was a simple recompile.

It runs as a web server on your device and you connect to it through your web browser. Unless you firewall it (don't ask me about that) it also will serve pages to anything else that connects to it.

It has the full NT Greek text as well as an English translation (LXX and Hebrew have not been implemented). You can do Strong's number searches as well as full parsing searches on Greek words.

To use:
1. Extract the archive
tar xzf bibleserver.n800.tgz

2. cd to the directory you extracted to
cd bibleserver

3. start the server
./bs

4. connect to the server in your web browser
http://localhost:4567

The file bibleserver.conf can be edited to change the translations in use as well as the port number you prefer to connect to.

You will also need a good unicode font to display the pointing in the Greek text (I use Palatino Linotype).

No optimizations were performed to account for this platform so it is slower than the desktop versions.

If you are interested in using this, you can download it at ftp://headthirst.com/pub/bibleserver.n800.tgz
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeedrinker For This Useful Post:
Is there any way to run this off of a vfat sd card? The files aren't executable and, as I understand it, permissions can't be changed on vfat.

Thanks for making this available.

The Bible directory can be relocated but you will have to edit the paths in bibleserver.conf to reflect the changes. To save space, delete anything in the Bible directory that you do not wish to use.

I know this is an old post, but just saw it today. Thanks coffeedrinker. This is a nice piece of software. Maybe not quite as versatile as a sword based program, but definitely quicker and more responsive than Rapier.

BTW: My favorite coffee is definitely Kona :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to n9mjg For This Useful Post:
Are there any Catholic editions among your translations? They're usually hard to find though I think rapier has the DR. I've continued to use the palm BibleReader because there's an Catholic edition translation for it but ideally I'd want to use native IT apps rather than GVM.

Thank you,
Frank

Well, if he's using the sword libraries, which I suspect he is, then there likely is.

No, I do not use the sword libraries.

I do not include any Catholic versions, but *any* Bible translations can be made to work with my software (one could even use other non-biblical books as well). You will need to follow directions to dump it as text from your Bible software and save the files in the appropriate manner. All of this information is available at my site referenced in the download link, if you consult the instructions included in versions of the program developed for other platforms.

This software was originally written for my own use, so it does what I need it to do. I currently have it running on a ppc mac on my network, and access it with desktops as well as portable devices.

I no longer own my N800, but I'm glad you found this software useful.

CD - thank you. I'll give it a whirl.

Frank