Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
What can I purchase now to replace my VRC that has an analog tuner? I am receiving over-the-air TV broadcast only and I already have the Hi-Def TV.
I am looking for some kind of DVR that has a hard drive built in. Please be specific as to make and model number. Thanks!

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-01-23 at 21:14.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Build a PC and install Linux and Mythtv (best option), or Windows and Media centre - much more versatile than a Manufactured DVR.

Yeah, I recommend just buying a good PC and build your own PVR. If you want to install MythTV, I recommend either KnoppMyth, MythDora, or MythBuntu. Of the three, MythDora is the most user friendly, but KnoppMyth is perfect for power users who love to tinker. Here's a roundup I did on the three distros and what to expect.

KnoppMyth
MythBuntu
MythDora

Hope those help you in picking a distro. And a purpose built Linux distro really is the best way to go when switching over to MythTV for your DVR.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Maybe look into those small computers from Dell, Asus, etc... Or, I heard that Boxee is making a box.

I recommend Windows for a media center, but a Linux box would work great with the tablet as a remote control, using such software like Bluemaemo and irreco.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Maybe look into those small computers from Dell, Asus, etc... Or, I heard that Boxee is making a box.
Or a laptop with a busted screen, if your luck is such that you have or can readily get one.

A TiVo HD won't be nearly as capable as a HTPC (Home Theater PC), but they're only $250 plus $13/month and have 2 tuners. And they can use CableCards to receive digital cable, which MythTV will unfortunately never be able to do.

MythTV's listing data service is much cheaper ($20/yr), which will eventually make up the difference in initial cost.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Seattle
If you don't want monthly subscriptions and don't want the hassle of building your own, try Echostar's DVR. It was supposed to be shipping in December '08, but the site still says 'pre-order'. Here's the link: http://dtvpal.com/

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Gery market satellite = Every single channel you ever wanted for free

Just FYI...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Aw common, doesn't anyone have the guts to spill the beans?

Just torrent whatever shows you want to watch...

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
What can I purchase now to replace my VRC that has an analog tuner? I am receiving over-the-air TV broadcast only and I already have the Hi-Def TV.
I am looking for some kind of DVR that has a hard drive built in. Please be specific as to make and model number. Thanks!

get a bittorrent client, a USB flash drive and this for your HDTV

http://www.buy.com/prod/wd-tv-hd-med.../209975073.htm

I use OTA tv but get the show I missed on the torrents then listen to it in HD on the tv. (...no... I try not to download pirated movies... too often )