Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
The point, I think, and one I'm mildly concerned about, is not about connection type, but about poor offline function. The assumption of ubiquitous connectivity can lead to sloppiness, such as bailing on lack of connection, rather than falling back on cache or local resources.
Well that's a different issue, and one that I'm not entirely certain about myself.

Why, indeed. Might ask ZeroJay about how Canada+Discount codes=Hilarity.
It worked fine for the rest of the Canadian discount code recipients.

No-hardware-keys FUD? (Which does concern me deeply, just not for the RX-51, or probably any Fremantle-era device.)
What do hardware keys have to do with desktop-application functionality? As far as I know, most of them don't strictly require a keyboard, and certainly not a dpad.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Some applications benefit greatly from a minimal set of funtion keys. Do you for example wish to give up screen real estate in the browser. How about not having a key to be used as a shutter release or when a bit of command line work is required. Each type of input facility has a value. I think some of the concern is based on the posibilty that ssyetm function and usability will be lost by arificialy limiting controls so that the marketing department can make a big deal out of touch. The original Mac had no function keys -- they all do now. How about loosing the facility of right click so some fool can brag on the simplicity of a one button mouse. I use the mouse as an example not because we need one on a handheld tablet.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Some applications benefit greatly from a minimal set of funtion keys.
I'm not arguing for or against hardware buttons.

I'm simply addressing the argument that fewer hardware buttons would make it impossible for desktop applications to be run on the tablet.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well that's a different issue, and one that I'm not entirely certain about myself.
That's actually the part that worried me...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It worked fine for the rest of the Canadian discount code recipients.
...such as whom?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Some applications benefit greatly from a minimal set of funtion keys. Do you for example wish to give up screen real estate in the browser. How about not having a key to be used as a shutter release or when a bit of command line work is required. Each type of input facility has a value. I think some of the concern is based on the posibilty that ssyetm function and usability will be lost by arificialy limiting controls so that the marketing department can make a big deal out of touch. The original Mac had no function keys -- they all do now. How about loosing the facility of right click so some fool can brag on the simplicity of a one button mouse. I use the mouse as an example not because we need one on a handheld tablet.
Yes, hard keys are very good in certain cases.

Rest assured, the Maemo UI and usability team is not controlled by the Nokia marketing department. We're doing work to improve usability and functionality. That is the key goal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Rest assured, the Maemo UI and usability team is not controlled by the Nokia marketing department. We're doing work to improve usability and functionality. That is the key goal.
Also, rest assured the marketing team doesn't have wet dreams about unusable and disfunctional products either.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...such as whom?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...+codes&page=39

There are a few canucks (mikemorrison, TenSpeed) on this page that appear to have their discount codes work the last time around...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
The Storm Before The Calm

I found myself in an all too familiar place: Ready to implement my functionality, but instead taking a detour because of some non-standard system integration. Conventional wisdom dictates not to stray at times like these, but I knew my enthusiasm was going to suffer if I didn't take care of this now.

After the Maemo tutorial disappointment, it was time to see what the community had been up to. Sure enough, the Advanced Backlight (AB) project was in a mature state, and at first glance it seemed that they had already solved my problem. Whew!...Saved!...Not! It so happened that AB was frustratingly stuck exactly where I was; they had been for months. And where was Nokia in all this? Not to be found.

One bright side was that I didn't know GTK, and based upon its growth rate and installed base, now seemed like a good time to learn it. The dark side of course was that I was getting further and further away from where I really wanted to be. But maybe I would enjoy the ride? Or maybe the solution would come to me from a Google search? I didn't and it wouldn't. About 10 long, dead-end days passed. I was burnt and ready to throw in the towel. But just as I was packing up my things, Murphy decided to take a vacation...

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
The Storm Before The Calm
Does anyone else visualize daperl as the protagonist in a film noir as they read this?

...or in a Philip K. Dick alternate timeline story...

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51