Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I'm looking for a way to have a power profile that by default...

dims after 10 seconds, off on 30

but when I read and am in fbreader...

dims after 5, off after 5.

I tried searching but all I found was this thread...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6781

which pretty much suggests to use either acmonitor or wait for "Harmattan".

The Following User Says Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
dims after 5, off after 5.
Wow, you read fast! Or do you mean 5 minutes?

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Sorry, yeah I meant 5 minutes.

I must admit that I also think power profiles would be a useful thing, has this been discussed before (e.g. on itt or on the maemo-developers list) as it would be useful to see some background if it already exists? If the power settings are handled by gconf (and most stuff is), then it should be possible to write an app to implement this sort of feature.

It would also be interesting to know if this sort of thing is planned for Fremantle/Harmattan/some future release.

If you read the post i linked at the start of the thead you'd find there is/was a Bug report on the mameo website ( https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1046 ). Apparently it's listed as "RESOLVED FIXED" because its something they plan to include in Harmattan. Kinda shitty but probably all we'll get that is "official".

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
The feature described in this thread is more like "Context aware backlight dimming" than power profiles.

Well "Context aware backlight dimming" would be good too. But I would just as soon have several profiles so I could manually select them when I need.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by killdeer View Post
Well "Context aware backlight dimming" would be good too. But I would just as soon have several profiles so I could manually select them when I need.
There is an application called advanced-power. This is a replacement for the power panel (the battery) with also statistics. This also supports some basic functions for power profiles. You could try them out to see if they suit your needs. They're already a step in the right way IMO. What you ask is rather more advanved. You could ask the developer to include more advanced power profile support, but you have to think of possible usage patterns and see if these settings are rather easy to support preferably with /proc or /sys.