Active Topics

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by darrennewman@sky.com View Post
When I try to partition my card with pbeasy I chose my card click on it and get taken back to the pbeasy menu. I just keep going round in circles.
If you noticed, the partition card says, you have chosen to format . First partition is size . (suspiciously void of actual values).

Thought it was just something I did. PB, consider this a bug report when you return.

1) load PB once, then exit. It needs to scan for available partitions, This is done as PB loads, This might be skipped by PB easy? Not 100% sure, but think I had the same problem.

2) Open cover to the SD card but leave it seated. It keeps the partitions from being mounted, but doesn't stop fuctions like partitioning (that require the card to be unmounted). Just be extra carefull not to move / remove the SD card while partition is in progress.

PS, confirm which step worked if either for PB's troubleshooting.

Sorry, it was me being really dumb. I was selecting the card with the spacebar.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
I must be missing something. Isn't swap or virtual memory used when you don't have enough RAM? Like a desktop pc or the flash with 128, In those cases you would want a swap to simulate having 256 or a gigabyte. Now we are booting from a 2Gig or larger card. Don't we have plenty of RAM as long as we don't fill the memory completely? I suppose the partition would just be insurance.
Yes, you are missing something. Booting from a 2G card doesn't give you more ram, it gives you more room to install things. Ram is 128M in all N8x0m it doesn't matter where you boot from. The only way to increase that is enabling virtual memory or swap (better AFAIK). To see your ram (and swap) usage open the console and run "free" (without the "")

The Following User Says Thank You to Valeria For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I seem to be having swap issues.

My Linux swap partition (mmcblk0p2) is scanned and recognized by GPARTED, but when I attempt to enable it for swapping using console tools, mmcblk0p3 (my ext3 partition) appears in the swap target menu with what appears to be the stats for my the ext 3 partition.

Last edited by mfortner; 2009-01-04 at 06:42.

I just wanted to say that I used console-tools today to clone my N810's OS to the internal card, and it was smooth and trouble-free. The only hard part was deciding, after many puzzling unsuccessful attempts to use install-tools on my system (43-7), to go online to see if I was missing something. After seeing some of the posts here I'm glad that I didn't try two weeks ago, after getting my new SD card.

Oh - I reactivated virtual memory (to the fat16 partition on the indternal disk), and free is showing it as swap.

Many thanks to pb for this wonderful tool (and its predecessor, of course).

hallo,
i used a 512 Mb Sdcard. Theese are parrtitions:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 1 960 30712 6 FAT16
/dev/mmcblk0p2 961 13216 392160 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3 13217 15264 65504 82 Linux swap

all is running OK.
Great and excellent work. Thanks.

Hi there - just got a wimax for Christmas and decided to give this a try. Everything checks out OK until I get to the final reboot where I should get to start up from the internal memory card.

I see the bootmenu OK but the control pad is disabled and then after 10 seconds or so I get the following error message
"WiMax:
Self test RF#2 failed, try to reboot the device.
If the problem persists, perform software update
or contact service."

I successfully reflash the device and start over. I can even install the boot-menu and then restart directly to the internal but I get the error when I add the memory card partition to the bootmenu.

Also, separate question - I've read that using a memory card as swap can shorten the life of the card. Since the wimax has an embedded card what is the best way to handle the partitioning and swap for the wimax? should I only be doing this on the external card?

thanks

Follow up...
I *think* that I have managed to get everything installed correctly but I installed bootmenu with the external card removed from the device so I don't actually get a boot menu at startup (even if I set the default startup to the cloned partition on the external card after re-inserting it.

Problem is, the only way to get the boot-menu to show up is to do the install step again and that always brings up the error message.

Don't know if that info helps but I'm out of ideas and ready to give up on booting onto the external card and turn this thin into a really expensive GPS!

G'night

Tom

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi;

PB, just wanted to thank your for this excellent piece of software.

I had been running 4.2008.36-5 on my N810, and recently grew tired of the "!" telling me there was an update. I got on these forums, saw that you were no longer supporting the old stuff, downloaded the latest console-tools V1, did backups, booted into flash, and did the upgrade to 5.2008.43-7.

That went ok, I then installed your CTV1 via App Manager.

I first tried the pbeasy bootmenu, and it installed and scanned parts, but when it rebooted and I tried to select my external SD part, I could tell there was a problem - it called it by an odd name and would not boot from it. (sorry I did not write that down). I then ran pb, and had it download Fanoush's latest. Installed bootmenu again, now all I OK, can boot from flash or external SD.

I'll be making a PayPal donation right after I post this!

Keep up the good work,

Steve

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Uh ... PB ...

Where is your PayPal donate link? I could not find it on penquinbait.com.

Steve

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools