Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I realize I might be a wingnut, crackpot, etc... but when I got a web page and it's pure flash I close it. No thanks. (My sister was browsing for condos under Firefox on her FedoraCore5 box and they were all using the latest version of Flash (before the new version was released for *nix*) effectively locking her out. She sent off a few polite emails but nothing will come of it.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I realize I might be a wingnut, crackpot, etc... but when I got a web page and it's pure flash I close it. No thanks.
And i thought I was the only one.

A more convenient way is to disable flash alltogether, no matter which operating system you're using. I did so at work (where we have to use WinXP), and of course I didnt activate it on my Gentoo GNU/Linux box either.

It keeps a lot of crazy advertising away from me; there are only very few sites that actually require flash for their real content. - Well, this is the world wide web, built upon http+html. If they use a different technology, its their problem, not mine. Pity I have to buy somewhere else.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
First of all I want to say I love my 770 and I love linux. That being said I am much happier with the applications available through the open source community than with Nokia. For something being touted as an Internet Tablet, it delivered a horrible email and browser client. Some say googletalk is great, I never could get a reliable incoming call, tapioca was much better. I guess I am grateful for the the operating system and hardware, or I might be running a zaurus or something.

Its just amazing to me that after the 3 version of 2005 os and the 2006 os releases, the email client still sucks, and the browser client still is unreliable. I can live without flash, and some video formats, thats what I bought, but make sure what you do offer is solid.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2006-11-14 at 22:07.

Originally Posted by penguinbait
the browser client still is unreliable.
I can't understand. Opera browser is quite good.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I think the real problem is that the 770 has yet to see a close competitor. The price is right, the platform is right, the hardware is a little odd but does the job very well. The main reason for software on any device to stay relatively stagnant is due to lack of competition in the same areas. In the case of the 770, you've got no outside competition on the hardware side, but a growing amount of alternatives to Nokia's software offering. As more applications replace and even exceed in functionality the bundled software, I think Nokia will only do less and less to enhance their apps and even replace theirs with the better ones.

I'm looking forward to the new hardware, and continuous updates of the Internet Tablet OS, but I'm looking more forward to what great ideas the community will push out there. I'm not saying there's no great apps coming from Nokia (just look at Media Streamer). It's just that solutions like Canola and Mplayer are looking better every day.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

I agree they can do it right, but

The opera browser is great, yes, but the font issues I have seen annoy me. The closing one browser and they all die, ARGH, this one pisses me off.

I am really looking forward to people smarter than me, to port or develop a email client worth using. Thank god for webmail, when the browser works. It seems to have issues on and off with squirrelmail, but does good with OWA.

I would also like to see a good small FAST browser. This could be done, dillo or links -g would even be cool. Sometimes, you need no frills and want to quickly do stuff. I used to use maemo browser in 1. what happened to it. Minimo should be called Mightymo, its a beast.

Anyway I am just a leech, but I appreciate your work. I paid for Nokia 770, I expect a little more from them. Thats all I was saying

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
But you seem to assume your issues are pervasive, penguinbait. I haven't encountered font or browser closing problems on my 770 (which I run through the ringer, btw). My main problem has to do with Application Manager being buggy, which I don't see many others complaining about. So blanket condemnation toward Nokia is rather misguided.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
No.

Originally Posted by Odin
No.

10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!