Active Topics

How would you backup the file to your internal memory card, then replace the wav with another custom wav so it plays when you switch it on?

And incase if that doesn't work, how would you put back to the default start up tune?

Thanks

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
Does anyone else hear the linus torvalds message? I used to have my tablet in spanish, but now i switched back to English and it sounds on my startup. Its kinda funny, but I would like to have the option to shut it off sometimes.
Yes, I get that, too, though I hadn't realized it was Linus Torvalds. I haven't been able to make out what he's saying. It's a little after start-up, and it sounds like a mild-mannered alien invader has briefly entered and possessed my N800.

Also, long ago I posted this as a How To: for silencing the start-up sound. I suppose it still works.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Does anyone else hear the linus torvalds message? I used to have my tablet in spanish, but now i switched back to English and it sounds on my startup. Its kinda funny, but I would like to have the option to shut it off sometimes.
have you done something to the boot system? iirc, there is a alternative boot system floating around that play a "classic" audio system test file

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I haven't been able to make out what he's saying.
"Hi, my name is Linus Torvalds. And i pronounce linux as linux"

taken from memory after hearing it one to many times while wrestling with a sb16 compatible card and a succession of red hat related distros...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post
have you done something to the boot system? iirc, there is a alternative boot system floating around that play a "classic" audio system test file
I think this is something to do with a penguinbait package; bootmenu perhaps?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
hehe. Sweet. Now I can put some kick butt other sound in there for startup.
You'll have to post your kick-butt sound Maybe a thread where we post our custom startup sounds?

Still waiting to see a custom startup screen with the Nokia hands and the caption:
Come into my van, little boy, and I'll give you some candy
added to the bottom of the picture.

That caption has been in my head ever since someone said that the picture was creepy, I looked at it again trying to see what was creepy about it...

Does anyone else hear the linus torvalds message?
I can confirm that this is from one of Penguinbait's automated SD clone-and-bootmenu packages; it plays after the SD filesystem has been successfully checked.

After any crash or unexpected shutdown from an ext2-based cloned system, you should reboot from flash, and wait till the check is completed, to avoid corruption of the filesystem; the sound serves the useful purpose of letting you know when it's complete, and you can reboot to the SD. (If you convert to ext3, which is journaled, this fsck is not necessary at all...)

As for removing it, Penguinbait has posted specific instructions somewhere about...
*points to search*
(I'd tell you if I knew, but I've never actually used any of PB's SD packages.)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Still waiting to see a custom startup screen with the Nokia hands and the caption:
Come into my van, little boy, and I'll give you some candy
added to the bottom of the picture.

That caption has been in my head ever since someone said that the picture was creepy, I looked at it again trying to see what was creepy about it...
Your wish is my command...
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Your wish is my command...
yet you promote finding humor and promoting humor in being a victim of a paedophile...you are basically no better then the paedophile...or so ignorant there are no words to describe it...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
yet you promote finding humor and promoting humor in being a victim of a paedophile...you are basically no better then the paedophile...or so ignorant there are no words to describe it...
omg its his fault that paedophies exist!!!

dark humor is humor too. if you cant handle it, stay away please