Notices

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Small update:
Great update ukki! The search function is very nice

knots client can be pretty useful also without a server at all. I use it as a thumb friendly mplayer frontend all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtron For This Useful Post:
New release:

- Thumbnails for videos with ffmpeg
- Better info for videos with ffmpeg
- Additional movie info from themoviedb.org
- Fixed subtitlesource after their site changes
- New virtual category for latest videos
- Possibility to cache categories
- Complete polish translation
- New icon

Because of the new Ruby packages, the installation has changed. This also means that this package will not work on 770, but I doubt there are 770 users anyways. Thanks to mtron, we now have better documentation for Knots:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots

Thanks again to all my three users Andreas, stangri and mtron for the help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
N

Because of the new Ruby packages, the installation has changed. This also means that this package will not work on 770, but I doubt there are 770 users anyways.
I don't know if this is a problem of dependencies but if it is, then you can use '|' to specify or.

e.g:
Depends: easyroot | rootsh, zenity etc
In that example, zenity will always be required but having either/both of easyroot or rootsh will satisfy the first dependency.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-01-18 at 13:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Just to say thankyou for this fantastic application, it is very obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into this. I was wondering about the possibilities of adding a music specific section? UPNP + all the various clients seem much less stable than knots & knots server. I know it is possible to play music from a folder structure, but is there any chance of integrating a music indexer in? Perhaps tracker & ruby-dbus could be used?

Cheers!
G

Originally Posted by blutack View Post
Just to say thankyou for this fantastic application, it is very obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into this. I was wondering about the possibilities of adding a music specific section? UPNP + all the various clients seem much less stable than knots & knots server. I know it is possible to play music from a folder structure, but is there any chance of integrating a music indexer in? Perhaps tracker & ruby-dbus could be used?

Cheers!
G
Glad you like it. But I really have no intention of turning Knots into a media player. I've put a lot of effort into making Knots an easy to use Video Player and although it can play music, I never planned that. Adding a proper music support would mean I'd have to reinvent the wheel and I don't think it would be any better than what we already have. There are a lot of fancier video players too, but none of them (imo of course) really acknowledge the fact we don't have the horsepower to watch all sort of videos. So I have tried to implement all sorts of features that make watching videos (and everything that comes with it) a little less painful. So I need to disappoint you on this, but if you have any features you'd like to get into Knots that are video related, I'm all ears

You are completely right, the unix philosophy has certainly worked very well for knots.
To be honest the reason I mentioned music was because video playback is flawless and ideal for what I need, and is one of the best linux media center apps I've had the pleasure of using (and I've been through many...)!
That offer of listening to features could be dangerous, though I can't really think of anything else. Unless you happen to be in the UK and can somehow get iplayer integrated...there's a script to download them as h284 files...and its in ruby...
But seriously, thankyou very much for this app. Any chance you could pop it in the garage so I can submit it as a pearl?

darn narrowscreen tablet browser :-)

Originally Posted by blutack View Post
You are completely right, the unix philosophy has certainly worked very well for knots.
To be honest the reason I mentioned music was because video playback is flawless and ideal for what I need, and is one of the best linux media center apps I've had the pleasure of using (and I've been through many...)!
That offer of listening to features could be dangerous, though I can't really think of anything else. Unless you happen to be in the UK and can somehow get iplayer integrated...there's a script to download them as h284 files...and its in ruby...
But seriously, thankyou very much for this app. Any chance you could pop it in the garage so I can submit it as a pearl?
You are making me blush here. I had my hopes of putting Knots into extras, but I'm starting to have doubts about it again. I could put it to garage, but I guess it would be always outdated as I use my own "one command release system". If you interested on Knots, you should use ./scripts/update_devel to get the latest fixes and features from time to time. I try to make sure it runs as well as the release version, but it may have features that aren't complete yet.

And I really doubt Knots is that useful without the server part and as most people run Windows, Knots will not be widely adapted anyways. So putting it into extras isn't that important to me. It would allow easy install though, but I may just setup a repo for it even though it goes against the Maemo policy.

But I will check out iplayer.

I only suggest because knots is quite a tricky thing to track down. lt isn't the easiest thing to track down though, I've been looking for something like this for a while but missed the initial forum post and eventually found a link on maemo wiki which didn't make it sound hugely promising. You don't have to have an install file,several apps just have no install file but a link to their homepage instead. I'm afraid iplayer will be a non-starter if you are in Finland,it is a service from our national tv organisation and so is IP restricted to the UK.
Sorry for making you blush but this app is something I now use every day.
I think you might be underestimating the appeal of this - the second most downloaded app is openssh,which isn't something the average windows user would have much use for.
One tiny thing I have found (though I think this is a vlc thing) is that when I play a folder of vobs (Blackadder to be precise) in order to skip to a dvd scene I have to seek right through each scene. I'm just nitpicking really, but it would be great if knots could display each scene as a seperate file in the dvd directory.
Cheers again!

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Just in case anyone faces the same problem -- Nokia N810 WiMax Edition requires a special build of MPlayer for Knots to work, the link has been added to the http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots.

The Following User Says Thank You to stangri For This Useful Post:

Tags
knots, linux, os x, streaming, video