Active Topics

Notices

how does gpesyncd is integreted with gpe-calendar ? Do we have to use the cmdline interface to sync ?

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
gpesyncd reads and writes the underlying database that gpe-calendar, gpe-contact, etc. use. It does have a local command mode (run it and type "help") but it is normally, in my experience, used remotely.

GPE support is integrated in Opensync (www.opensync.org). I use it to synchronise my Internet Tablet calendar and contacts with my Outlook data (see my OWA Sync page: http://www.cobb.uk.net/OWA/owasync.html).

I had this working well with IT2005. I have now upgraded to the latest IT2006 release and am using the gpesyncd from hayao (thanks very much!). This is synchronising with Opensync without major problems but only gpe-contacts seems to see the data. The GPE Contacts app sees my contacts and works fine but GPE Calendar comes up with no events shown.

The events are present in the database (I can read them using gpesyncd local commands), and gpe-calendar has a channel open to the (correct) database file but it is as though it is empty: nothing appears in the calendar display. This is strange as it all worked correctly with the older GPE and older operating system. I will investigate further and see if I can work out what is going wrong.

Edit: fixed URL formatting

Last edited by Graham Cobb; 2006-11-17 at 14:07.

By the way, the solution to the "No space left on device" error is to have TMPDIR=/var/tmp in the environment when gpesyncd --remote is invoked using ssh.

The easiest way to do that is to use an xterm on your Internet Tablet and gain root. Then issue the following commands:

cd /usr/bin
mv gpesyncd gpesyncd.real
cat <<EOD >gpesyncd
#!/bin/sh
export TMPDIR=/var/tmp
/usr/bin/gpesyncd.real "\$@"
EOD
chmod +x gpesyncd

This replaces gpesyncd with a shell script which defines the necessary environment variable and then invokes the real gpesyncd program.

hayao: any chance of updating your gpesyncd package to do this?

Graham

I've been hoping to be able to sync GPE with evolution for a while; when I saw this post, I was intrigued. When I tried the link www.opensync.org, all I got was an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, K.

The URLs got the closing parentheses included by mistake. Now fixed -- please try them again.

Unfortunately, the current GPE SVN is inconsistent: the database formats have changed and gpesyncd is incompatible. So, hayao's gpesyncd does not work with the IT2006 GPE PIM available from the http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/maemo2 repository.

I am trying to see if I can create a new gpesyncd which is compatible. I will post an update here if/when I get anywhere.

Graham

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb
Unfortunately, the current GPE SVN is inconsistent: the database formats have changed and gpesyncd is incompatible. So, hayao's gpesyncd does not work with the IT2006 GPE PIM available from the http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/maemo2 repository.

I am trying to see if I can create a new gpesyncd which is compatible. I will post an update here if/when I get anywhere.

Graham
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Applicati...90c1a5a2ec0add

Working without problem with IT2006 GPE.
--
Cezary

Cezary,

Working without problem with IT2006 GPE.
Interesting. I tried that version as well as hayao's version. It didn't work for me (with the version of GPE from Maemo Application Catalog 2006) . Calendar events from opensync were never appearing in my gpe-calendar.

Looking at the code I would not expect it to work, as the database formats have changed.

Graham

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb
Cezary,
Interesting. I tried that version as well as hayao's version. It didn't work for me (with the version of GPE from Maemo Application Catalog 2006) . Calendar events from opensync were never appearing in my gpe-calendar.

Looking at the code I would not expect it to work, as the database formats have changed.

Graham
Code taken from svn gpe. I didn't try to synchronize calendar events; only contacts.
--
Cezary

Originally Posted by Cezary
Code taken from svn gpe. I didn't try to synchronize calendar events; only contacts.
Ah, yes, it works with contacts. But not with calendar events.

I am making good progress on a replacement gpesyncd to fix this. I will be posting an update to the Gpe-list@linuxtogo.org list later tonight, probably.

When it is working, would you be willing to make it available through your repository (I hope it will eventually go into GPE but that may not happen immediately)?

Graham