Active Topics

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
so basically your saying there is some bug running around inside the battery driver, or something like that?
I am not sure where the bug is. It seems to me the battery level reported may not be truly representative of actual battery power. 14 hours of standby and 10 minutes of wifi usage should be well beyond what a battery level of 0.3% can support.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by khalid View Post
I am not sure where the bug is. It seems to me the battery level reported may not be truly representative of actual battery power. 14 hours of standby and 10 minutes of wifi usage should be well beyond what a battery level of 0.3% can support.
I think I have similar problem. After 43-7 AND installed advpower, I am seeing s red battery icon, <0.5% every morning, despite the fact that the tablet was 97% full when I, me, bun, goes to sleep! I am curious to find out whether this is 43-7 problem, or advancpower problem....
First thing first, I would disable the metaclawler 1st....

bun

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, i was seeing the 0.3% thing before the latest SSU.

thing is, i suspect advpower is not doing much math on its own, and rather reads it off dbus or other sources.

maybe install battery-status and give it a run under such conditions to see if it gives a similar percentage. iirc, it reads its info off dbus...

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

bun
That was one of the first things I tried. Disabling metacrawler did not have any effect on battery life for me. I also fsck'd both my SD cards on my Linux machine and indeed found filesystem problems on one of them. Battery life still went down as before even after fixing filesystem problems. I do use swap space on the internal card and I have not yet tried disabling that, but based upon my observation, I am doubtful of battery meter report as opposed to real battery drain.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
iirc, i was seeing the 0.3% thing before the latest SSU.

thing is, i suspect advpower is not doing much math on its own, and rather reads it off dbus or other sources.

maybe install battery-status and give it a run under such conditions to see if it gives a similar percentage. iirc, it reads its info off dbus...
I looked through advpower code and it seems to me it is getting its data off of dbus. I don't know python, so don't quote me on that. In the past, I have switched back and forth between advpower and included battery meter, and they always agreed on remaining time.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I think I have similar problem. After 43-7 AND installed advpower, I am seeing s red battery icon, <0.5% every morning, despite the fact that the tablet was 97% full when I, me, bun, goes to sleep! I am curious to find out whether this is 43-7 problem, or advancpower problem....

bun
actually i think someone is on to something with the battery driver....i have had similar issues on my n810 since first diablo flash....i thought i had it fixed with deleting the swap file- but that failed.
however the reason i think it is the battery driver is because after getting the red low battery warning.. and placing back in the recharger.. it takes moments to get the full battery notice....- if the battery were really discharged it would take 1-2 hours to fully recharge...

but what confuses me is that the rapid discharge only happens when connected to my home wifi lan not tethered to my phone connection...

i have tried virtually everything to pinpoint this problem.. deleting all 3d party apps changing to default theme to changing wlan status from never disconnect to disconnect in 5 minutes.. (that seems to stop the rapid discharge)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have another problem which may be related - while listening to music every 10-15 minutes i hear quite a long series of skips like something maxes out the CPU usage. Also on two occasions after waking up the tablet i noticed 100% CPU usage in osso-statusbar-cpu, but i never succeeded to catch which process is doing it

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-12-24 at 00:43.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
What a difference a card makes.
One of the first things I installed after flashing my N800 to 5.2008.43-7 was Advanced Power Applet, and used it to verify that I was still getting the terrible battery drain. (as other people got, about 3% per hour) both when booting from SD and from flash.

Based on the idea that it may be the SD card(s) I tried booting to flash in different configs, waiting for it to settle, and then measuring after an hour. This was informal, I didn't have to patience to be methodical, but my results are clear anyway:

16GB A-data Class 6 : 3%/hour
2GB Kingston : 1.8%/hour
16GB Patriot Class 6 : .6%/hour!

So I have swapped 16GB cards from my N800 and my camera (Nikon D40x - which I hope has different power management) and suddenly I have the battery life I had before upgrading to Diablo - which was the same moment I started using that A-data 16GB card, I should have tried this before, but didn't think cheap cards differed.

In the 9 hours since performing the switch and topping it off (which is 94.5% according to adv. power) it has only lost 4.5% - and this is booting from that Patriot card, with a microB and an Xterm open but no wi-fi (to simulate being left in a pocket after use)

This also happed to fix another problem I have been having since then.

So, I have a simple question: Why does a card that isn't being read or written to still use any power? (no swap, metalayer-crawler, etc. were involved in the boot from flash test that still used 3%/hour with the A-data)

problem exists on my n810 using the internal flash memory

So after reading this thread I decided to test my battery by ignoring the "low battery" warning while browsing the web. When the warning came up, I finished the page I was on and then put the tablet down (wifi still connected and OMM weather still set to update (and of course e-mail set to check for mail). Lo and behold after squealing about 5 times about the low battery I observed silence. So I tap the screen, expecting it to be dead and lo and behold, the battery indicator, which was red and empty the last I saw it, had the full charge icon AND stated that I had 8 days of standby and 6 hours of use.

There is definitely something wrong with how the system is calculating charge.

[update] I'm running the latest diablo off an internal HP 4GB Class 4 SD card.

Last edited by sondjata; 2008-12-24 at 02:21. Reason: more info