Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cheese is a nice lightweight webcam app that can record video and take pictures. It uses the gstreamer backend, and Stskeeps got it working with the tablet camera in Deblet.

The Ubuntu repositories have something called cheese-hildon. That suggests that someone's hildonized cheese for ubuntu-mid. There's even an armel binary, but with a truckload of ubuntu-specific dependencies.

I would love to see if someone could get this compiled for maemo.

Lighweight though it may be, I use cheese at my workplace daily for hi resolution document projection, because it plays very nice with my autofocus 2 megapixel webcam under ubuntu intrepid- are you hoping to use the N800 webcam or a usb one?

(...resumes making beats with my N810 on Hydrogen)

dcarter

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My goal was to use it with the built-in camera.

Here's the post where Stskeeps announces that he has it working in Deblet, along with instructions on getting it to work.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm having a look at it right now. Will report back soon.

Edit: It needs gio and would need some other libraries, although the other libraries can be replaced by what is in the SDK, afaict.

About the hildon version: It's mostly the stuff that one has to do to port apps to hildon (reparent the main menu, etc..). It also uses the users's home folder (MyDocs, etc..) as a save location. Apart from that, it's stock Cheese 2.24.

Maybe porting an older version of cheese (pre-GIO, i.e. gnomevfs, etc..) that uses more Diablo-like versions of the needed libraries will work? Porting the hildon-specific changes back to an older version should not be too hard.

Last edited by thp; 2008-12-23 at 14:47. Reason: findings after having a look at the source

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I've tried downloading an older version (0.3.0) of cheese and see if I can tweak it to get compiled in Scratchbox. I've uploaded an armel binary .deb that should work in diablo, although I did not care about dependencies, so you might need to install them by hand:

http://khan.thpinfo.com/~thp/tmp/che....0-1_armel.deb
http://khan.thpinfo.com/~thp/tmp/cheese-maemo.tar.gz

Problems (which make this current version unusable :

* Saving videos is not possible
* Setting an effect crashes the app
* NO live video preview (ugly!)

What works:

* Starting cheese
* Making a photo (is saved in "Images" in MyDocs, so you should be able to use your file browser to see the photos

Maybe someone more familiar with GStreamer can have a look at this?

Code:
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_bin_add_many: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_element_link_many: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_element_link_pads_filtered: assertion `GST_IS_BIN (parent)' failed
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** default - gst_x_overlay_set_xwindow_id: assertion `overlay != NULL' failed
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** default - gst_x_overlay_set_xwindow_id: assertion `overlay != NULL' failed
cheese[9706]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GStreamer - gst_event_new_new_segment_full: assertion `start <= stop' failed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, cheese, hildon, request, ubuntu