Hello! sorry for making another thread, but I have something to ask. I was gonna get an n810 a long time ago, but I spent the money on upgrading my laptop. now, that I got the money(not enough...I am also keeping some for a new phone), I can buy a 770 and accessories or an n800. I know that the n800 is better and this may sound real dumb, but I am obsessed with the 770. Ever since it came out, I;ve been obsessed with it, Especially after seeing silver surfer. I can't get it ou tof my mind. The camera is very nice to have on the n800m but it is not a must have for me. I am getting a tablet for little web browsing and linux testing. I am in a Computer Science class, and the shell and native compiler come in very handy. The 2 things that make the n800 much superior in my opinion are the processor speed and the storage capacity. What do you suggest? Should I buy the 770 or should you help me get it out of my mind. It's shape is what's obsessing me!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
N800. Seriously.

The 770 is dog slow, and the N800 simply blows it out of the water performance-wise. There's also a better chance for additional software releases for the N800, whereas the 770 is (and has been) very much a dead-end for a long time.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Yeah, the 770 has a wonderful case and a very nice shape, but it's a simple decision to go with the N800 for every reason, even if you prefer the style of case in the 770.

Hi,

I have to agree with the above opinions very strenuously.

Also to add to the discussion, there is the issue of the White Screen Of Death with the N770.

David

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Actually, I have found that in at least one aspect the 770 is better than the N800: Using Mplayer, the 770 plays video a lot smoother than the N800 for the same resolution (400x240) and bitrate (512). There is no stuttering at all, just some barely noticeable tearing in high-action scenes.

Also, Mplayer's developer Serge is one of the precious few who haven't forgotten the OS2006 firmware platform.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
With recent threads, wouldn't waiting for the N900/Maemo5 to come out be better? Then there's the option of the N810 (which'll be much cheaper then), or pony up for the next-gen ....

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
The WSoD happens on a high percentage of 770's and if you get it you're basically SoL; it just not worth the risk. It's just too bad that some of the design pluses (like the hard cover case) didn't make it the N800

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I've had a 770 for three years and I still love it. I really depends on what you are going to use it for and whether that requires the increase in performance the N800 will give you.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
I'd go with the N800... because they don't make an N770!

Regards...

Omega

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The biggest problem with the 770 is the lack of RAM. 64 MB is barely enough for running the OS and one application. If you want to run bigger applications or more at once, it will heavily start to swap (if swap was enabled) and crawl to a halt, or will reboot (if swap was not enabled). The 770 may still be fine for running an alternative Linux desktop with lower footprint, though.