Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Just want to say that I don't have a mobile phone either.
Haven't had one in over 7 years.
The only time I'm away from a phone, is my 25 minute drive to/from work.

And of course when I'm out at lunch. I don't want to be contactable then.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I can't see not having my phone.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
OT, but there are many other post like this...

I have had GSM mobile phone since 1994. The first one cost me ~$1200.

Still today I do not see myself addicted to cell phone. I can easily be without one. In fact in the past years there were times I didn't own one. (From 1996-2000.)

Today I have company phone that I carry during business hours. (Other times it is turned off. I do not like to receive work related calls during my own time.) Other times I have personal phone with Prepaid plan. I use it very rarely, so that $25 refills per year is enough to cover all my personal cell phone calls. At home I have couple different VoIP plans, that cover all calls I need to make when at home.

Personal cell phone to me is just a "emergency device" that I use only when needed and when I'm not at home or at work. (At work I'm forced to use company cell phone for calls because we do not have landline phones!)

EDIT: My 1000th post... I never though I'd get this far when I joined iTT...

Last edited by Mara; 2008-12-06 at 14:27.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Congrats on hitting 1K Mara.

Even at 1,000 your contributions have been more quality than quantity.

~~~~~~~~

My first cellphone was 1987, have had at least one ever since, at times I have had two. Even though I carry a small cellphone, I am not a slave to it. I am not inclined to interrupt whatever I am doing to answer it unless I am expecting a call.

~~~~~~~~

I did more research into VoxOx. For those interested, they'll give two hours of calling the US and Canada if you'll be a beta tester for them. I tinkered with it last night. They are not ready for prime time just yet. (very buggy softphone). They do not support SIP ATA hardware yet, they actually specifically say they do not support their service on Nokia Tablets on their support forum.

Once you install (the buggy) softphone to a PC, you can get rate information but it is only International Rates. They automatically generate and issue a free D.I.D. (a number in California, areacode 310). That was a pleasant surprise.

I have deduced the rates to call PSTN in the USA are $.01, but this is not published anywhere. I could not get the voicemail to work whatsoever.

After some screwing around I did get my N800 to register to their server and I could get incoming calls to the VoxOx D.I.D. they issued me, but I was unable to successfully make outgoing calls from the N800 no matter what I tried. I have a lot of experience with this SIP VOIP stuff on many platforms, but still failed to get that to work.

I did managed to get VoxOx's "ReachMe" to work. You specify several PSTN numbers and they all ring at once.

I could not get the Instant Messenger to work.

Bottom line, IMO, these guys went live prematurely, but maybe in the next few months they'll get their feet under themselves. Even then I don't see them as a Skype Killer. The free D.I.D in Los Angeles is nice though.

M5

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
For me, I have Skype but use it mostly for International calls, and by that I mean I cam calling someone in Europe, or calling anywhere while I am in Europe.

But other than that, I use my cell phone for everything. I have a land-line but don't use it. I think its because I travel a lot- everyday I'm in the car. Sometimes I turn it off when I grow tired of my digital leash, but it seldom comes down to that.