Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Long time in the making bears fruit. I'm publishing ukmp 1.8 now. It's beta, I have worked today six or seven hours on it, which is probably more I've done to it for a few months.

New ukmp is portrait mode player that works on all n800/n810 devices without the need for rotation support.

Read more:
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.com/

Install from here:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/ukmp/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The interface is nice, but I couldn't use it properly. When I removed my SDHC card it started correctly and listed the few preinstalled MP3s (those in ~/.sounds). But when I inserted my SDHC with 8 GB of MP3s and Oggs and FLACs, it crashed while scanning the tags. The same happens with earlier releases of UKMP, too. I suspect the tag scanner isn't very robust. Is there a good way to find out at which file the crash occurs?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Hi Kontorri

Thank you for that. It was in my Automatic Updates a few days ago. After it was installed I briefly tried it out. I love the portrait mode, minimal interface and it pulls in the album covers beautifully.

However, practically all of my N800 music is in ogg files and the old distortion issues remained.

Then, in the interim, my OS2008 system has been automatically updated a couple of times and now stands at v 4.2008.36.5, quite what it was a few days ago I am not sure.

Now, when I select an ogg file to play, the device locks up and needs a hard restart. However if I select an mp3 then it all is ok and it plays fine.

In order to try and deal with this, I installed ogg-support v 0.7 but with the same result. Then I installed ogg-support-lightmediascanner v 0.7 but didn’t help either.

I find it astonishing that Nokia does not include ogg vorbis in the list of supported audio formats
http://europe.nokia.com/A4579471.

Initially, when you first gave us UKMP, it was able to play my files provided ogg-support was installed but that facility stopped quite a while back.

Is there anything else that I can do or am I stuck with my ogg files being unplayable?

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The interface is nice, but I couldn't use it properly. When I removed my SDHC card it started correctly and listed the few preinstalled MP3s (those in ~/.sounds). But when I inserted my SDHC with 8 GB of MP3s and Oggs and FLACs, it crashed while scanning the tags. The same happens with earlier releases of UKMP, too. I suspect the tag scanner isn't very robust. Is there a good way to find out at which file the crash occurs?

You can run ukmp from command line and see where it crashes. How many albums of music do you have?

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Hi Kontorri

Thank you for that. It was in my Automatic Updates a few days ago. After it was installed I briefly tried it out. I love the portrait mode, minimal interface and it pulls in the album covers beautifully.

However, practically all of my N800 music is in ogg files and the old distortion issues remained.

Then, in the interim, my OS2008 system has been automatically updated a couple of times and now stands at v 4.2008.36.5, quite what it was a few days ago I am not sure.

Now, when I select an ogg file to play, the device locks up and needs a hard restart. However if I select an mp3 then it all is ok and it plays fine.

In order to try and deal with this, I installed ogg-support v 0.7 but with the same result. Then I installed ogg-support-lightmediascanner v 0.7 but didn’t help either.

I find it astonishing that Nokia does not include ogg vorbis in the list of supported audio formats
http://europe.nokia.com/A4579471.

Initially, when you first gave us UKMP, it was able to play my files provided ogg-support was installed but that facility stopped quite a while back.

Is there anything else that I can do or am I stuck with my ogg files being unplayable?
I can try out the ogg support. I'm using playbin these days and not building the pipelines manually. I suppose that is the reason for oggs not working.

And to be fair, I don't like ogg as a standard, however free it is. The metadata handling of it is entriely flawed and it has never worked as it should have on any computers and os that I have owned (except mplayer, in which everything always works well).

Anyway, back to the issue. I'll check out the ogg support if I could hack in something quickly.

I just tried it out with 1 gig of music on a card and it managed to display the album covers. I understand that you press an album to get the song but it doesn't seem to work.

I had no ear phones plugged in, should it have played through the speakers?
How do you get to a menu system? I tried the menu button on the key pad and got nothing.
What do the curled corners at the top do?
Was mine a flawed install?

Steve

There is no menu. Top right closes the app. Top left goes back to album list.
Audio playback works with and without speakers. If your music is all ogg files, then the reason is that apparently ogg playback isn't working on 1.83.

Nope my music is MP3, MP4, AAC. Maybe it was still loading the music and I didn't give it enough time?

I will try again later. I like that your program has managed to support cover art.

So it doesn't support playlist?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Simple, efficient, clean, fast, and just a pleasure to use. Thank you Konttori for providing us with this!

One tiny problem, swedish characters, å, ä, ö aren't displayed in song/album-names. I can live with it though, most of the music on my n800 isn't swedish.

//Bow

The åäö issue is bugging me as well. So, I want to fix it as much as you do.

Rassilon, it has queue mode, so you can create a one-time playlist, but it doesn't support pre-created playlists.