Active Topics

After experiencing problems with Garnet vm, I reinstalled it, after which the main menu items all disappeared. Since Garnet still would not run, I decided to remove it . However, I ran into the following problem:

/home/user # apt-get -f remove garnet-vm
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
/home/user # dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' for reading: Input/output error

Any suggestions on how to run the above and get the menu back?

Thanks.

Last edited by Machster; 2008-11-12 at 04:04.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
What menu? The GarnetVM menu? I'm confused...

Did you try to uninstall it using the App Manager? Why are you using apt-get?

Moar info please, so some smart people (not me ) can help you!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The menu lost was the application launcher. The icon is there but the categories and list do not appear anymore - an empty window. I used apt-get because App Manager failed to uninstall Garnet.

I managed to launch the control panel and rebuild the app menu. Somehow reinstalling Garnet wiped it out. However, I am still having having difficulties with uninstalling Garnet. I tried to remove it manually from /usr/bin and /home/user but it is still listed in the app menu and I can not uninstall or reinstall it with either the app manager or apt-get due to dpkg errors sited above. In fact I can't install anything right now.

BTW I do not have the info file /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000. All it displays there is 0001-0007 with 0005 being a directory.

Update:

I deleted the items in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. I seem to be able to install some applications, including Garnet, however, app manager keeps giving a failed to install message on all successful installs.

Last edited by Machster; 2008-11-13 at 20:43. Reason: Update