Active Topics

Thanks, I watched a bunch more videos and read, so I think I will get a 810 just because I would rather have more power than a possible 6 gigs in the 800 but Thanks! It is still hard to turn down that 770 though

I do like the rotating cam but we'll see how things pan out.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
what did you mean when you replyed "6 gigs in the 800"?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
The N800 is great. The advantages N810 has over it are
-better screen
-thumbboard
-gps
If you don't need them or are tight on money, get a N800.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
The N800 is great. The advantages N810 has over it are
-better screen
-thumbboard
-gps
If you don't need them or are tight on money, get a N800.
What??????

You flipped N810 and N800!

Remember, N800 can have 64GB of memory cards, N810 can only have 38.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Hong Kong/Vancouver
for me the physical keyboard + GPS makes the difference.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by pistolpete3521 View Post
My main purposes would be; internet (obviously), I HAVE to have a good text editor and I would like to be able to connect to a printer wirelessly to print. If not, it needs to be rich text or somethign similar so I can sync and print. While nice, I just hate lugging around a 17" media laptop everywhere, especially with the battery life. Anything else is really extra and I would like to have some other features like RSS, flash support, and things of that nature but my highest priority besides the aforementioned typing and such is an IRC client or Gmail support. Really I would like to have the 800 and I LOVE the webcam function but since I have a good chance of getting one for Christmas I am wondering if the 770 is good just to tinker with, have around, and use for some of these functions.

Thank You!
If you get a 770 you will regret it soon. The 770s have a design flaw that tends to cause the screen to die (look up: white screen of death or WSOD). Also people just aren't developing software for them anymore and they're slow. Spring for the N800. Look on the "for sale" section of this very forum. In terms of hardware the N800s are really solid because they have no moving parts except the stand, so buying a used one shouldn't be much of a problem. If you get a 770 you'll be tinkering with slow, crashy, 1-2 year old software alone, for a couple months until the screen dies and it becomes a brick. Ask for cash for Christmas, then sell some blood, mow some lawns, and put it towards an N800.

Edit: Also, note about the N800 vs N810: They have the same CPU and RAM. The N800 can hold two 32GB SDHC cards for a total of 64GB. The N810 can hold one miniSDHC or microSDHC, biggest size right now is 16GB + 2GB included storage. The big reason to go for the N810 is the keyboard, and the big thing going for the N800 is price.

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-11-11 at 11:53.

You don't need the huge CUPS package to print, you can use either of two or three other small packages, e.g. the very small 'lprng' package which I made available (there's a link somewhere in another thread).

In any case, the problem is not to print, the problem, if you will, is that to print you need the file in a printable (for your networked printer) format already. The built-in browser and other applications don't have a print function, i.e. they will not format the current web page, for example, into a printable format.

If you, on the other hand, have postscript or pdf files or pictures (or whatever your printer can eat), then it's just a question of 'lpr filename'.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
You flipped N810 and N800!
No I didn't. At least for me the only worthwhile upgrade in N810 is the better screen, but at the cost of the memory card slot, rotating camera, and better looks *cough* it's just not worth it.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
actually one can have 32 gigs plus the 2 onboard in the n810 if you buy the adapter made by craves1 there is a thread about it in the N810 section

I had the exact same thought as you about getting the Nokia 770 to "figure it out" But it turned out that figuring it out wasnt very hard and the limitations of 770 drove me insane, to a point of wanting to throw it against a wall, I just got my n810 and oh my man, it is a god send. If i had todo it all over again, I would have gotten a n800, which is pretty much the n810 hardware wise, so far better then the n770, not much more and fully functional. Anyways, my 2cent, dont do it, you'll save yourself a headache, although I guess I can fully appreciate the n810.