Active Topics

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Hi everybody. Some of you might remember me posting on this forum around this time last year, when I'd just bought a 770. At that time I was deliberating getting an N800. Well, I never did because the 770 served my needs pretty well and continued to do so (eBooks, occasional browsing and satnav in the car). But recently I saw a factory refurb N800 for a bargain price and got it.

I'd like to thank whoever it was who put out the dodgy firmware that meant certain N800s wouldn't turn on. This is obviously why my particular N800 went back to the factory (it appears a girl called Annie had it--sorry Annie!). Anyway, after a handful of sessions of sticking it in the freezer, and then flashing it with OS2008, I'm pleased to say it now works fine! A bizarre introduction to a new piece of hardware but if it works then it works.

But I've got to say I'm not overly impressed by OS2008. It looks great but seems a bit slow, especially browsing. In fact, it's really as slow and laggish as my 770. It's just that it can access more websites.

It's fun to be able to access Google maps and Docs but they're too slow to be useful. Gmail is just about OK, but I may as well switch to HTML mode, as I've always done with my 770.

Is there a way of reverting back to Opera without having to revert to OS2007? Is reverting to OS2007 a good idea?

Is there any way of optimizing OS2008?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
What is "OS2008"?
Do you refer to old Chinook, or Diablo (4.2008.23-14 to 4.2008.36-5)?

Version 4.2008.36-5, according to "About Product".

afaik you cannot get opera working on os2008, but I might be wrong... I wanted the same thing sometime back when os2008 came out.

oh, wait, here it is, a nice exmplanation:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...9&postcount=10

Last edited by icebox; 2008-10-29 at 08:00.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
afaik you cannot get opera working on os2008, but I might be wrong... I wanted the same thing sometime back when os2008 came out.

oh, wait, here it is, a nice exmplanation:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...9&postcount=10
I'm going to be honest, and spare no feelings. I'm deeply disappointed by my experiences of browsing on the N800 using OS2008. It's just not good enough. Nowhere near.

EDIT: Actually, strike that.

I've been experimenting with various memory card configurations. Originally I had a 2GB Sandisk Extreme card in the internal slot, thinking this best because it's fast. On a whim I took it out and put in the factory-supplied 128MB card that came with the unit. In both cases I switched on virtual memory on the cards, but I'm not sure this is wise.

The browser now appears to be faster. There are still delays opening web pages, but it's not as bad as it was. I've put the 2GB Sandisk into the external slot and it seems to work fine.

Last edited by rs-px; 2008-10-29 at 10:23.

the browser is also a lot faster if I disable Flash and Javascript.