Active Topics

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Ol' Yeller

Actually, my network is Matrix-themed so all mobile devices or appliances are ships. (And their memory cards, therefore; are their captains.) But usually I just call it "the Tab."

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
my n800 was diablo and n810 the vargulf.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
I call my N810 Nnipsu.

Jolla, The First One TOH
N9, black 16GB
N810

I call mine Bob.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
my n800 is called french, my 770 is called henry. all my computers are named after comedians, so I have also have Fry, Palin, Adams, Merton, Marx, Cool. Cleese & Izzard have been repurposed, but they used to exist.

it happens that Dawn French is/was married to Lenny Henry.

note: not only the hostname is set, but also the bluetooth ID. people at work who tether bluetooth devices probably wonder who the hell Henry is!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
meh, most of my portable devices gets to keep their default. my computer tho gets my nickname. old lanparty habit...

My n810 goes by "Pixie" as it is tiny, musical (acts as my portable media player), and enchanting.

Mine is named vendetta-tablet, it fits my vendetta-(desktop/laptop/whatever) naming scheme I use.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
I think giving names to hardware is kinda naff. But my N800 is "Tabby".

I don't go anywhere without it. My 8 year old daughter is a big fan also.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
My dear... I'm scared by you guys. I never use nicknames for any of my devices. I just call them all "love" or "baby", as anyone else does.

In fact, my boyfriend calls my N800 "Kuckuck" (German for cuckoo, but also for 'Peekaboo!'). This is because of a series of TV commercials Hutchinson ran a few months ago to promote television via DVB-H. They referred to the cell phone as "Kuckuck" and made the point that it's so great you can now "do it" anywhere, anytime... only later revealing that they're talking about watching television.
This theme of staring at a Nokia device's screen "anytime, anywhere" must have somehow reminded him of me and my N800. Can't think why.