It's so slow !!! Firefox in Turbo-debian is faster and in debian aleast you have Full JAVA .

Hope someone gets this working for the IT but I can't see them making it fast and stable.

computerfreek

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
have any of you guys figured out how the zoom works? it's somehow related to touching the text you want to magnify, but i cannot find out how. sometimes it suddenly gets bigger when i want to drag it, sometimes it just doesn't do anything when i click/double-click/... it - how is it *supposed* to work?

and: is there anything like a context menu? you know: save image, send page, open in new tab/window? tap and hold doesn't seem to do anything.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Lack of scrollbars is kinda bad too. Maybe not only because we use scrollbars to scroll the page, but because the scrollbar is a reference where exactly we are in a page.
Right. It's even worse in situations where scrollbars are the only indication that you don't see all of the content: Think of a frameset: One small frame shows 5 headlines while there's acually 10. When you visit the page, you don't realize it's a frameset at all, let alone there's "hidden content" in one frame.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I think it is something like a temporary zoom - fist double click zooms in, the second out. There's normal zoom mapped to the +/- keys. No context menu as far as i can see.

The frameset behavior is even stranger, look here:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/rea...ts/index.shtml

When you drag down it only scrolls to where the first frame ends, not the longer one.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
I hope Mozilla is reading this...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Mister Ecua View Post
I hope Mozilla is reading this...
The only way you ensure these items get to the developers is to enter them into Mozilla's bug tracking system.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
In all reality, the minefield build of firefox, and the Debian build is faster, more stable, responsive, etc than fennec. I think the developers put WAY too much emphasis on the UI, so much that it become unusable. First, concentrate on not killing the device. Then add UI gems. Just install Grab and Drag onto firefox in the tablet, and its already better then fennec. Sigh....

I've tried fennec, it is SO SLOW, it is impossible to use. Every click causes delay in several seconds, when the tablet is unusable, with unpredictable result afterwards. I've spent a quarter of hour trying to type a URL. After finally opening GMail page, it asked me several times to stop hanging script; the entire thing was much slower, order of magnitude, than regular tablet's browser, and finally app was terminated with low memory message. Few experiments with different sites are finished the same way: fennec dies quickly, because of low memory. It looks like pure animal requires space for his movements, tablet does not have. I have a standard recently reinstalled N800.

I wonder if the Mozilla team has an N810 at their place... I really don't think they would have released this if they did... Maybe we should send them one (by "we" I mean Nokia).

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
I wonder if the Mozilla team has an N810 at their place... I really don't think they would have released this if they did... Maybe we should send them one (by "we" I mean Nokia).
I think you're right on. They likely did their development work on a workstation with an ARM emulator.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
Yes, they have tablets. . . .

It's the first alpha release, what do you expect?

Besides, release early, release often and all that. It's not a closed-source application, why would you expect them to keep it secret until it's absolutely finished?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: