Active Topics

Notices

Can anyone suggest a way of saving a data backup file from Garnet VM to a memory card. I'm thinking maybe--getting a copy from one of the linux files and saving it as a text file?
Thanks

If you mean saving internal (PalmOS application data) from Garnet VM to a card, there is currently no method to do this from Garnet VM - it doesn't see the cards.

(It's possible to use a PalmOS ftp client to send data out of the system though).

Or do you mean a backup of the Garnet VM installation itself?

Yes, I meant how to send internal garnet data to a card, so thank you for your answer that garnet cannot see the card. BUT you also said that it is possible with an ftp client to send garnet data out of the vm. Could you elaborate a bit about how I would do that?
Thanks

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
something like WiFile can send the file to a shared folder on the Tablet. I am not sure is it will work, but it is worth a try...

An FTP client that runs in GVM (i.e. a PalmOS ftp client) can handle the databases as files (just as e.g. FileZ), and as GVM sees the network just fine it can ftp the files out of GVM. I've tried EzFTP, and it didn't work because it seems to be (when used with GVM) unable to log in to an account. However, I believe Resco FTP has been reported to work.

It would be simplest if GVM can see the N8x0/770 as another IP address and transfer the files directly to the tablet, but I'm not sure it can - I haven't got the chance to test that. In any case, transfering the files to anywhere outside GVM certainly beats the current situation. BTW, GVM stores everything (data, applications) in a single image file stored under /home/user/.gvm/, and the data is not accessible as single files. The format of the image file is presumably something similar to a Palm device memory dump, in any case it's in practice a closed format.

Thanks to all for your help. It gives me something to try. For now I will just hotsync to my desktop and burn backups onto cds. Thannks especially for the info about why files can't simply be copied from the linux files.
Cheers.