Active Topics

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I would like to see more dual interfaced applications where the focus is on expanding and making use of the strengths of the platform.
For instance, if I were to expand lb onto the desktop properly, I would expect it to have more management features and grand overview stuff thats impractical on the tablet.

Similar in a way to how itunes and the ipod pair each other up and complement themselves.

Theres many types of software out there that can coexist in a multi platform environment and which would benefit from getting away from a one size fits all attitude.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't see the point of this "either-or" thing. And I don't see how a "web-device" is different from a computer. It is a computer!

What's great about the N8x0 is its size - and that it still is a full computer. A mini-laptop. You can choose not to use spreadsheets and word processing on it because of its form factor (just as I choose not to play games on my desktop PC because I'm not interested in games), but this doesn't mean it cannot run a spreadsheat application. More important: It doesn't mean it should be designed not to run a spreadsheet application.

I wouldn't need a second device for RSS, browsing and mail only. My S60 phone does all of this for me. Yes, it's not as good as a tablet in browsing, but the difference in screen size and usability is not worth the price of a tablet. More important: It's not worth carrying a second device with me.

If Nokia wants me to buy a tablet, it needs to be more than a crippled "mobile web" device. I'll spend my budget on small computers. The smaller the better. So far, Nokia wins because of its form factor. Once they'd change the focus from "computer" to "web-only" (or "media-only" or whatever only some of you guys seem to wish for), they're out of the game and Asus gets my money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
what's the difference between tablets and mininotebooks?
it's overall size and weight, screen size, touchscreen, computing power, lack of mouse (and keyboard for n800 users).

i very like my n800 because of it's pocketability.

i'm sure, it can be used like "real" (but probably slow) computer, but that's not where it's strength for average user is.

i'd like to use it with all those applications adapted to smaller screen, touch/finger use, less powerful hw. i can, of course, sacrify some "desktop" features.
why? because for pocket devices i prefer "less is more!" (but i don't mean crippling those devices :-) )

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I like my N800. I find that it "just works" for what I need it for -- a bit of mobile web browsing, catching up on a movie or show I missed on television, or any number of other ways the device has found a niche in my day-to-day life.

Of course, maybe it's just the "gadget appeal"... it's just plain cool!

Oh... and, maybe I'm the only one here that also owns both of the previously pictured portable computing devices? I still use the Model 100 every once in a while, usually tethered to an open serial port on one of the desktops as a tty terminal. The other is used for its "ooh and ahh" factor among fellow geeks... and also does a decent job of propping open doors that like to swing shut.

I also have two japanese/english IBM 5150 (8086-based) desktop computers (the DOS interpreter, in ROM, will hot-key switch between english, and kanji or katakana japanese!!), a PDP-11 (ooh! look at the pretty blinky lights!!), a DEC Rainbow, and a whole slew of 80x86 computers [where x = 1, 2, 3 or 4]. Perhaps I should open up Brian's Eclectic History of Computing Museum!!

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Agree with Benny1967, I think in the long run the question as it is phrased here makes less and less... sense, or difference, how you put it. Devices are increasingly converging together. Or to rephrase, I don't see the "OR" in the original question very relevant. Whether parts of the device/platform/software are open or closed (and to what extent) for instance is a far more important and interesting question.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
how about this, anything that can have third party software installed and run, is a computer.

or maybe make that a general purpose computer, vs a special purpose one like a dvd player or set top box...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
how about this, anything that can have third party software installed and run, is a computer.
...but what about devices which don't trust you to not sue the "embedded" manufacturer when you install said software?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2710

;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Devices are increasingly converging together. Or to rephrase, I don't see the "OR" in the original question [as being] very relevant.
I like the NIT because it's versatile, not limited. I want it to be a computer; I'm glad it's a full computer.

But, you know, I don't compare the camera in my cellphone to my digital camera. It's a phone first and for all the convenience of that camera, it can't compete with the device that is a camera first.

So I'm trying to say, Don't lose sight of why the NIT is remarkable by loading up on secondary features. Yes, output to an external monitor would be great, would make the NIT more useful in specific computing work. But not at the expense of lighter weight, lower cost, or better features oriented specifically towards the pocket internet.

It used to be the Nokia tablets were priced cheaper than any netbook or UMPC, and the low price meant people with computer-first-carryaround-second needs were early adopters. I believe we mustn't let that initial (and temporary) marketing advantage play a very large role in planning for the future.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Or to rephrase, I don't see the "OR" in the original question very relevant. Whether parts of the device/platform/software are open or closed (and to what extent) for instance is a far more important and interesting question.
Right. This (the openness of the platform) and the underlying framework. While what I hear about Nokia's plans for a future UI makes me pessimistic, the fact that the underlying frameworks are desktop technologies give me hope:

It could be that to become what Nokia believes is mass market compatible, the stock UI will be less attractive and more restricted. I'm afraid of this, it feels like they're taking away my love. - But: As long as the platform is open and core technologies are borrowed from the desktop, nobody will prevent me and others to use them the way we want to. (At least that's what I hope will still be possible.)

So: Let's have them their way with 2"-buttons wasting screen estate in the stock media player - as long as I can still install and run a stylus-optimized mplayer-GUI that has 20 menus and sub-menus and 30 tiny checkboxes in the options-dialog and cries out to be used with a stylus.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It could be that to become what Nokia believes is mass market compatible, the stock UI will be less attractive and more restricted.
...for you. (I know you meant this, but it's worth re-iterating: not all of us "power users" want to be hitting 1mm^2 targets with a tiny stylus so that we can run OpenOffice.org; some of us want pretty devices which are mass-market which Just Work[TM]).

But: As long as the platform is open and core technologies are borrowed from the desktop, nobody will prevent me and others to use them the way we want to. (At least that's what I hope will still be possible.)
Of course. And, with the increased openness of everything below the rich UI layer, this'll only increase in possibility, not diminish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: