Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Hi guys, I'm back and in need of testing So, here's a 0.2 version which has bookmarks and history, but crashes sometimes and i need to find out what causes it. Also if it appears stable anyway, I'm focusing now on getting a newer WebKit build run on the tablet (the one in extras is too old and is built with libssl-0.9.7 which i guess causes the https not working).

Also the code is in garage SVN now, feel free to abuse it. Needs the included VAPIs to compile and Vala 0.5.2.

New things in 0.3 /not yet uploaded to garage, need some feedback/:
  • WebKit 39752 + fixed password field input method (edit in invisible mode) + libicu dependency removed (you can uninstall it) + web inspector files included in deb. Get it here and dev package here. Now requires only libidn11 which is 110k
  • Tap and hold menu doesn't persist after clicking on element.
  • Web inspector can be opened from right click menu.
  • Changed when sqlite3 is used, using temp memory views for selects. May be still crashy, hopefully less. Made some major changes this morning and didn't test it much.

New things in 0.2.2:
  • Tap and hold menu - still doesn't contain anything too useful Also shows up when clicking on links - annoying, I know.
  • Info Banners for Zoom operations.
  • Zoom to 100% in View menu.
  • Kinetic scrolling is harder to trigger (10x10 dead zone).

New things in 0.2.1:
New things in 0.2:
  • Initial implementation of Bookmarks (no editing or deletion).
  • History completion and drop-down.
  • Google search if no address punctuation.
  • No Javascript and no images switch.
  • Hid the not-yet-working menu items.

Known issues:
  • Crashes sometimes. Sqlite suspected and still trying to fix it.
  • The menus are common for all windows, so Full screen, no js and no img toggle menu items are not indicating the real state.

Screenshot:

Download in Garage /0.2.2/:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...elease_id=2308
Download from my site:
http://bundyo.org/maemo/tear/tear-0.3-1_armel.deb
110k/215k

P.S. Not Extras-devel ready yet in my opinion, and I probably won't be able to upload it with the auto builder anyway. Andrew, does your mud-builder support external vapis?

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-01-05 at 13:31.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Thanks! Wouldn't it be a better idea though to port an existing browser that uses WebKit, and QT based since that is the future of the tablets? That way we could use existing plugins/extensions and the like.

Latest Webkitgtk supports ns plugins, and we don't know if QT is the future Yet.

Desktop apps in my opinion are not very well suited for the tablet, they work, but they need quite a bit of tweaking to fit in the screen. Plus as I mentioned in the other thread - I'm not very proficient with C

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-10-13 at 23:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
downloaded, will be trying it out.

hmm, only chinook extra held the correct webkit lib...

ugh, that webkit version is a bit to large for me right now

btw, it seems the deps on the package are a bit broken. even with the right repo active, app manager refuses to install it...

Last edited by tso; 2008-10-13 at 23:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Yes, there's no other for now.

BTW, some icons are missing. Fixed.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-10-13 at 23:46.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
. . . QT based since that is the future of the tablets?
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but Qt certainly isn't 'the future of the tablets'. If anything, the platform will support both.

Besides, even if you were correct about the 'future', it's at least a year away, if not more like two. . . .

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
libwebkit 1.0 is in the Debian repos; that's what Midori is using... Have I mentioned how much I like Midori yet?

Um, what exactly do you like about Midori?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but Qt certainly isn't 'the future of the tablets'. If anything, the platform will support both.

Besides, even if you were correct about the 'future', it's at least a year away, if not more like two. . . .
I should have said 'seems to me' because it was just my own impression, no special sources involved. And also, especially after buying Trolltech, standardizing on one widget set seems to be more economical for Nokia. Has Nokia stated to suppport both for the period you mentioned?

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-10-14 at 07:30.

QT will be added officially in Harmattan (at least 2 years from now), QT4 libs will be installable in Fremantle, but not officially supported. In Harmattan GTK and QT are meant to coexist, Nokia will decide if to drop GTK support after that, but i doubt it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: